1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd flick/convertxtodvd bitrate

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by dragnandy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

when i use dvd flick, you can change the bitrate manually. and just for clarification,

-less bitrate= less quality
    -more bitrate=better, but is limited. so like if i have a video with 4mb bitrate, 9mb bit rate wont increase the original video quality, right?

if the more bitrate part is right, then do i find the minimum bit rate i should put while encoding without loosing quality?

and is there a way to set bit rates for convertxtodvd? also, when you use the convertxtodvd, does it chose the bit rate the original video alreadt has or does it lower/raise the bit rate?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

It cannot increase the bitrate of the original...It only can increase/decrease the bitrate of the output. Leave it to Automatic/Auto-fit and the program will choose the highest bitrate possible necesary for the movie to fit onto a DVD-/+R or DL, your choice .
    Higher bitrate means higher quality, but also bigger size.
    For example, if you set the bitrate manually and your final DVD exceeds the 4.4GB and you need to shrink it to make it fit to a DVD, then you didn't gain anything, you lose through shrinking the quality you gained by choosing a higher bitrate.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

thanks. is there any other way to find the bit rate of the normal video without letting the converters doing it automatically? because like for dvd flick, it doesnt use the original bitrate of the video, but maximizes the video files bitrate until it reaches the 95% of the selected media storage (cd/dvd/dl).

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

So you want to find out information about your movie's video bitrate?

GSpot or VideoInspector will tell you what you want to know.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  5. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

if i use the convertxtodvd software, does it increase or decease the output's bitrate? or keeps it the same?

6. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Well no, a video with a bitrate of 3500Kbp/s is virtually the same as a video with a bitrate of 3499Kbp/s but if you have free space on your disc then why waste it?

That's the problem with VSO, it's very wasteful when it comes to encoding, it doesn't use up ALL the available disc space and sometimes leaves as much as 1Gb empty.

If you've got free space you might as well increase the bitrate so it fills up the entire disc, make the most out of it.

ConvertXtoDVD doesn't allow you to manually set your bitrate, even in the latest Beta versions. It may in the future, but not now.
    ConvertX's algorithm tries to manually select a bit-rate that is above 2.5Kbp/s to keep the quality reasonable while fitting all the data onto the disc. It usually doesn't go over 4000Kbp/s for any video.

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

darn. i like VSO because it has the main menu function, while dvdflick doesnt. is there a way to add a main menu to dvdflick?

8. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

DvD Flick only has one manu that will let you choose what movie you want to play. I am not aware of any submenu option. As for the bitrate, I always set it to automatic and never had any issues with the disc being wasted, DVD Flick always picks the bitrate and fills over 95% of the disc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  9. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

how do i set the menu? what if i have multiple video files, will they show up on the menu?

10. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Do you have the beta version, 1.3.0.0 0f DVD Filick, the one that has menu options?

11. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

no, i have the dvdflick 1.2.2.1 build. is the 1.3 beta version the only one with the menu option?

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Yes, and it works with no problems for me.

13. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

oh cool. thanks, this al ot better than VSO. i dont see why VSO cost money while dvd is better and free. now im only using dvdflick because it has the menu option too.

14. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I hink DVD Flick is one of the best open source programs ou there. There might be a few options extra included in VSO's programme, but the Flick does an exellent job.