1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD freezes after a split second

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dantez, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Dantez

Dantez Member

Hi there, noob here with something I haven't encountered on any board so far

I've created a DVD with Nero Vision. Three XVid video clips with matching menus that I created in the program. Now to eliminate some causes already:

-preview worked fine

-Nero's conversion to DVD files went fine

-Burning process went fine.

-DVD loads (menus work) and plays fine on comp

-On TV DVD player (Daewoo 5800) it loads and menus work fine but when playing actual video it plays (image and sound) for a split second before freezing. I can still return to the menus but every chapter has the same effect. Split sec of movement and sound and then it freezes like I paused it.

The really strange thing is that other self-burned DVDs work fine. Same brand of burnable disk and everything, (Sony) only difference is that I burned those with DVD Santa. I can't create menus with Santa so I turned to Nero for that.

Anyone any ideas? Is there a difference in Nero and Santa conversion/burning? So far the only DVDs that froze this way were self-burned DVD- disks, but these are all the same DVD+ disks, the only difference is the burning program. And as said, the Santa ones work fine. Could it be the sound? I believe Nero is APC and Santa LPCM, but I do hear a split sec of sound, so...

Santa doesn't have a lot of options or settings to go through so if anyone knows what could be the trouble, I would really appreciate any advice.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If I am not mistaken Sonys' media is not the best. I use Ritek, Packard Bell, Imation & Datawrite with no compatibilty issues. I would try different media

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It could be a compatibility issue with your media and the player or it could be the media itself as pulsar suggested.

Load dvdinfopro(free) and see who it says your sony are manufactured by.

Here is a good place to buy Riteks, +R or -R at a good price by a good company:

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

4. Dantez

Dantez Member

Thanks, I'll check those brands out.

But I've used the same disks with DVD Santa and then they work fine on all my players. The same Sony DVD disks. I just don't get it.

And I tried it out more, and apparently the DVD works fine in the computer as well as on my Playstation2.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, if that's the case it's not compatibility or a media issue, so we look elsewhere. I need you to answer each of the following:

Did you play these files before using them in NVE, and if so did they play fine?

And the files played after you did them on your PC using NVE's software remote? I mean you played them thru and no problems?

Were you doing anything else on your PC while using NVE or burning your files? Was everything else closed, including background apps, internet, etc.?

Have you tried writing it to your hard drive, play them and see if they work, then burning to disc using Nero Express or Rom?

Do you have a trial version of Nero Ultra 6 or a paid version. Do all the other apps work OK, have you tried uninstalling and re-installing Nero as a last resort? (sometimes when nero gets squirrely it needs a good uninstall using nero's remove tools and then a re-install. You don't have to download the apps again, just re-install)

6. Dantez

Dantez Member

"Did you play these files before using them in NVE, and if so did they play fine? "

Yes, on any media player I have they all worked fine from beginning to end. I watched them all that way.

"And the files played after you did them on your PC using NVE's software remote? I mean you played them thru and no problems?"

You mean the preview Nero gives you before burning? With the menus and all? Yes I checked and the menus worked, it showed the eps and everything. All the chapters, etc. All fine.

"Were you doing anything else on your PC while using NVE or burning your files? Was everything else closed, including background apps, internet, etc.?"

I had some internet windows still open but I left the comp completely alone while Nero was converting/burning. And even if that still caused some disturbance, how could they play perfectly on either my comps or my playstation?

"Have you tried writing it to your hard drive, play them and see if they work, then burning to disc using Nero Express or Rom?"

Yeah I did check the files after the conversion but before the burning and PowerDVD played them fine, but then PowerDVD still plays the disk fine too. It's really just my TV DVD player that freezes. For all I know a different brand of player would take it.

I've had the freezing before but that was only with self-burned (from other people) DVD- disks. So I was certain it was just that my player can't take DVD- and only reads DVD+. But these are DVD+ so...

I checked things and I really think Nero is functioning fine. Otherwise I don't see how the disk could work perfectly in other players. Are not other options it's just not compatible with my Daewoo somehow? Could it be I should pick a different option in the prefs of Nero or something? Encoding mode or...audio maybe... I don't know. Not too familiar with that.

I appreciate your help by the way. I noticed I haven't seen this particular problem much on the forums.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I've had the freezing before but that was only with self-burned (from other people) DVD- disks. So I was certain it was just that my player can't take DVD- and only reads DVD+. But these are DVD+ so...

Hmmm....well, just because your player is compatible doesn't mean it still doesn't have a problem, could be the laser or something else. By you saying it has done this with other burnt discs tells me that could very well be the problem even if it is compatible. It might be time to get another one. But, 1st, I'd be interested in seeing how that disc plays in another player.

BTW, if you do end up needing a new player they are really cheap and play better than the older, way more expensive ones. I just got the Philips DVP 642 for 65.00, it plays all formats, including mpeg and Divx. It's bios can be upgraded with a CD D/L'd off the net and it has some neat features like zoom, etc.

I'm not saying you need to buy another one, I'm just saying just in case, this route would probably be cheaper than getting it fixed if it is broke or damaged :>)