1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD freezes intermittently using Shrink, Decrypter, Sonic MyDVD, etc

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by hbraun, Aug 26, 2004.

1. hbraun

hbraun Member

I started using DVD Shrink to back up my DVDs. After a few successful copies, suddenly all DVDs I burn when replayed in the home DVD player, the image freezes about every two seconds. I then used other sw, like Decrypter, Sonic MyDVD (in this case making DVDs from VHS tapes), and got the same results. Since I didnt change the DVD media I suspect there is something in the configuration of the system.
    I use Windows XP, 60 Giga HDD, Sony DRU-530A DVD burner, 256 Mb RAM.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

If all the software you've tried gives the same results I'd look at the media first. Low quality media has a tendency to give spotty results, some discs work the next few don't. If you're using quality media then we can immediately cross that off our list of things to look at :)

What's the manufacturer ID of the media you're using? You can use this tool to find out:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

3. hbraun

hbraun Member

Thanks Nephilim for the tip, but I was able to solve the problem and would like to report how I did it, in order to help others that may have a similar problem.

Since it was happening with all programs and the same batch of discs, my suspicious went to computer configuration. I read in another forum topic that someone posted to check that Control Panel - System - Device Manager - IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers - Secondary IDE Channel - Advanced Configurations - Transfer Mode is selected "DMA if available". If "PIO Only" is selected, then it may be the source of the problem.
    I didnt want to do the suggested action to solve the problem, as, not being an expert in computer configuration, I feared I could crash the computer.

So what I did was to use the Restore feature of the Windows XP, restoring the computer to a date well before I even had installed DVD Shrink (I mean, a date I was sure DVD recording was ok). After completing that, I rechecked the above configuration and found DMA only was selected.
    A DVD recording using DVD Shrink confirmed it was ok. I also noticed that the recording time was much less than before.

With this post I consider this topic closed.