1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD from compilation of clips

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by reddragon, Jul 14, 2003.

1. reddragon

reddragon Member

I have a collection of live performances of one of my favourite bands. Some are on video tape (VHS), some are on a VCD and some are on DVD.

What I want to do is capture clips from the VHS (no problem), take some from the VCD (how do i do this?) and all of the ones from the DVD, rearrange them into my own order, and burn them to a new DVD, with my own menu.

So I need to know a few things here:

1) How do I rip from VCD? (never done it before, only ripped from DVD which are VOB files and i know VCDs are MPEG2)

2) What's the best movie format to use for editing a DVD (ie. putting the chapters in order) should i use VOB, MPG or something else? Or is there a program that will allow me to arrange the clips regardless of format?

3) How do I add subtitles? (Not too bothered about this but while I'm at it I might as well have a go)

4) What's the best program for creating menus? I don't need anything to the level of having movie clips in the background, but i need a title menu and sub-menus for the chapters (there will be 35+). I'd like to have a still picture for the button for each chapter that gets highlighted when you select it, and you access chapters by clicking on the actual pictures, not the captions next to them.

5) Is there any way (and this may be a long shot) to have a collection of MP3s on the DVD, and have them played through a DVD menu on a standalone player?

6) Any general advice about compiling my own DVD, any suggestions for software to use? (i need some better capturing software, WinProducer and VideoStudio 7 both work but i end up with really bad quality results even though the source is really good)

Thanks in advance to any advice at all - and hopefully you can all guide me through this, I'll post back with results when i have some!

2. Yuriv

Yuriv Regular member

That's a lot of questions

1) Just copy the DAT files from the VCD to your harddrive and use the following guide to convert them to DVD format using TMPGEnc Pro: http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/svcd2dvdr.htm

2) The easiest format to work with is MPEG, especially as your captured material is probably all be in MPEG format already (make sure the captured material conforms to DVD specs: http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd).

3) Sorry, no experience adding subtitles....

4) You have to author all of your clips into a DVD title set before burning it, and menues are created as part of this process. I would recommend TMPEnc DVD Author as it is versatile and VERY easy to learn and use.

5) This gets into more complicated authoring, it can be done using programs like Sonic RealDVD and DVD Maestro, but I have never bothered.

6) I can't comment on capturing software, but the combo of TMPGEnc Pro and TMPGEnc DVD Author are invaluable when embarking on a project like this.