1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD image wont shrink to fit on DVD-5, help please?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by falonga, Jan 18, 2007.

1. falonga

falonga Regular member

i have a disc image ripped to my hard drive, and its 7.89GB.
    i have tried magic dvd copier, DVD shrink, DVD2ONE, DVDrEASY

and all with failure, they compress it but not enough to fit on a DVD-5.
    i believe it roughly gets shrunk down to 5.4GB and now i dont know what to do.
    i really need this on a DVD-5

any help would be good, thanks

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

3. falonga

falonga Regular member

tried that guide, word for word and sadly still get the same outcome.

any other help???

4. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what movie are you trying to do?

5. blake123

blake123 Guest

6. falonga

falonga Regular member

@IHoe: its Friends complete 1st series. US boxset release version

@blake123: i never thought of using clone DVD, thanks for dropping that idea. but it didn't work, with 4minutes left i got a "unexpected error"

any other suggestions guys?
    Thanks

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You could try running through Shrink twice....

First, rip to a hard drive location with Shrink. Set the output size to custom and then select a size somewhat bigger than DVD-5, say 5500 MB. This will let Shrink complete the operation successfully.

Once that's done, close and reopen Shrink, select "Open Files" then select the VIDEO_TS made previously. Shrink will analyse again and you can proceed as usual.

Make sure to reset the output size to DVD-5 or use a custom ratio smaller than 4464 MB.

Eposodic DVDs do not have much to remove, so it can be difficult to get them to fit. You could use Shrink's Set Start/End Frames feature to trim as much as possible from the beginning and end of each episode.

You can do the same thing with Recode.

Quality may be an issue so consider splitting this to two DVDs.

8. falonga

falonga Regular member

thanks for your response fasfrank, i have tried that, and when i run the new (already slightly shrunk) DVD folders, it tells me that i cannot shrink it anymore. but i was thinking i will try using vob blanker first and then running the new folders.

and i was considering splitting to two DVD-5's
    but i dont know of any good programs for this,
    can u suggest any that will keep menus and good quality? Thanks

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you should have no problem doing episode DVDs unless you are trying to cram too much onto a DVD ....... if you are copying the original episode DVD then you should have no problem! Why you are having a problem is unknown. This is what I do..... I rip to the hard drive then I use DVDRemake Pro and take out all unwanted stuff.... I just like the episodes on my DVD...so I keep the buttons on the menu for DVD structure and navigation, cut out the extras, warning screens, etc, and then keep the episodes! After that I use DVDRebuilder Pro w/CCE and it's perfect everytime! I never had a problem with episode DVDs.

If it's on a DVD then AnyDVD + CloneDVD should be able to copy it! Download your free 21 day trial version here: Link
    7.89GB is nothing for compression! This should be an easy project and if you're having trouble with it there has to be something else to it! No one else has reported trouble burning Friends Season 1!

10. falonga

falonga Regular member

@IHoe,

well.......i am having problems, im not a newbie to this at all, thats why asking for help is my last resort before i go out and purchase a whopping £5 Dual layer verb Disc. which i dont want to do.

ive tried every program i know of, and every program suggested. im just asking if anyone can suggest anything that HAS NOT been mentioned in this thread??

or another process in software to use.

a noticeable thing is that when i run it in DVD shrink, the episodes themselves (after compression) come to over 4.8GB so there we have too much for a DVD-5 already. i need it compressing more or splitting on two DVD-5's (as i said above) so any help in slpitting on two DVD-5's or higher compression would be very helpful.

Thanks guys

11. 2colors

2colors Guest

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Splitting with DVD Shrink is easy although you will loose any menus that may be on the original DVD.
    There are ways to add/preserve menus but that adds another layer of complexity to the process, as well as other programs.

The procedure is the open the disc in Shrink and select Reauthor.

If the episodes are individual titles, then simply drag over half of them and back them up to your blank.

If the main tile contains all the episodes:

Drag the title containing all the episodes over then...

Open the "Set Start/End frames" feature. (Look for the two opposing blue arrows.)

With this feature you can select a number of episodes from the main title while leaving out the rest.
    Backup the first half to a DVD. Reopen Shrink and backup the other half the same way.

Here is my clips guide that explains in more detail how Shrink's Set Start/End frames works. Just adapt the procedure as needed.
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial001.html

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  13. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

you can use DVDFab Platium to split the DVD to two DVD5:

[​IMG]

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I have used DVD Rebuilder to do all the seasons of Friends DVDs with nothing edited to DVD5 (Single Layer Disc)

Below is a link to a few guides on using it...

For using the free version of DVD Rebuilder ---> http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=55302

For using the Pro Version of DVD Rebuilder ---> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/420923

I would recommend using DVD-RB with any episodic DVD you want to back up. I used the Pro version with CCE as an encoder but you should have no problem using the free version with a free encoder. They all turned out great even when i play them on my 67in Big Screen.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007