1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD InfoPro

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by textoby, Sep 10, 2004.

1. textoby

textoby Member

I have just received my first spindle of what I beleive to be "quality media" today, and I opened up DVD InfoPro to check the disks to make sure I didn't get shammed, but it is not coming up with the disk manufacturer and says "Manufacturer ID cannot be read". I followed a link to newegg straight from a moderater's post here at Afterdawn, so I'm pretty sure I got the good stuff. Below you can find what the indentifier is telling me:

Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Manufacturer ID cannot be read
    Format Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type Unknown
    Media Type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 2.4x 3324KBps
    Data area end sector 23053Fh
    Linear Density Blank Disc
    Track Density Unknown
    Number of Layers 1

The disks have a white top and say RIDATA. They were advertised on newegg as the following:

DVD+R RIDATA DRD+47-4X-RDIW WHITE %

I have a Plextor 504-UF External drive with current firmware. Am I just doing something wrong? Thanks for your help!

2. castiljd

castiljd Member

Don't really know but I wouldn't worry about it. Ridata is pretty good stuff. I've made a few coasters but only cause of spyware problems on my pc. So, not cause of the disc I don't believe. Anyways probably pretty good.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

4. textoby

textoby Member

The actual link to the disks at newegg.com is

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-324&depa=0

Supriseingly, the very first disk I pull off the spindle was bad. I didnt catch it at first, but I backed up a movie onto it, and it seemed to backup perfectly. When i went to play it in my stand-alone player, it wouldnt play. After closer examination in the correct light environment, i noticed on the disk that it looked like purple dye had been splattered on it. I trashed that one and backed the same move up once again, and it worked perfectly. Just seemed a little funny to me that the first disk was bad when most everybody on here says they rarely have any coasters with ridata. Hopefully it was the one and only! Can somebody verify that I purchased decent disks from the link above? I tried the suggested DVD Identifier and got basically the same results. My Plextor must not like these disks too well or something! As long as they write and work, i am happy, I just want to minimize problems down the road.

Regards,
    tex