1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD is a DVD-9, but in Shrink the green bar is full

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by gnesh18, Dec 12, 2003.

1. gnesh18

gnesh18 Member

The DVD I am using is a DVD-9, but in DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta the green bar at the top is full. In the guide it says that if the green bar is full, you should use DVD-5 guide, but my DVD is 9..whats the problem?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Check to see if automatic compression is marked. If so, Shrink already compressed it to fit dvd-5. Look at the compression ratio. May show 50-60% or so. If you change compression to none, Red bar should show at top as part of green line. If you get much lower than 50-60% compression, video will suffer. Keep it as high as possible. Jerry

3. gnesh18

gnesh18 Member

Alright Jerry thanx

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

gnesh18,

Look at your green bar, it will tell you the size of your DVD.
    It may be totally green yet still read 4.4GB - that's still too large. We need it lower than 4.36GB.

Take your curser and click "ratio", it should have some color in it - move your curser toward the left until you are BELOW 4.3GB .

Once you are below that level you will see some "gray" from the end of your green bar to the end of the slide.

You are then ready to hit "Backup".

I would suggest that before you get that far you follow the attached Hint. It will make finding it later with Clone DVD or Nero extremely easy.

HINT: I created a folder on my HD named "DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD’s I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (I.e. DVD Work\Starship Troopers.) When you click "Backup" in DVDShrink, a box will come up saying "Target Folder:” click "Browse" and trace your path back to "DVD Work\Starship Troopers" - when DVDShrink is finished, it will give you your VIDEO_TS folder already made for you in your DVD Work\Starship Troopers folder and you’re good to go. Now, if you wish, you can burn it days down the road. At one point I had 23 movies sitting there, just waiting for my shipment of blank DVD media to arrive.

When you wish to burn, use the "File Browser" in Nero (don’t use Wizard) to trace your path back again to DVD Work\Starship Troopers, you don’t have to try to remember where your work is or if you need to do anymore work on it, it is completely finished, ready to go – you are done and done –

Have a great day,

“P”

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

gnesh18,

Oh yea, don't worry about the "DVD-5 guide" thingie, all will be fine -

"P"

6. gnesh18

gnesh18 Member

whoa,,holla..thanx man

7. gnesh18

gnesh18 Member

oh two more question scuba...did u buy nero?
    is nero the best software for burning dvds?

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

gnesh18,

Yes I purchased Nero, I also purchased CloneDVD.
    I like Nero because it has a few more whistles like the ability to backup with CD's using a Mini-DVD format - That means that we can still work with our VIDEO_TS BUP, VIDEO_TS IFO, and VIDEO_TS VOB files. ;-) Using CD’s now our cost is pennies a movie, how good is good ?

I do love CloneDVD also - I like to watch the sheep animation.

If you want to nail me down ?
    You won't go wrong with Nero.

Do a "Google" for Nero and get a good price for a serial number for Nero -

Hope was of some help,
    "P"