1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD lab have no audio

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by level42, Aug 10, 2004.

1. level42

level42 Member

Been checking for a while and can't find same problem. Checked guides. Hope some one can help. I have followed the tutorial and guide here for dvd lab to the letter but get no audio after compliing dvd. I am using some of my favorite scenes from different dvds I made using dvd shrink. What am I missing? What should I check for? Thanks in advance.

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Are you adding the audio separately? Or are you just adding a video that has audio? I'm not sure but I think you might need to split the audio and video into two separate streams before you start a project in dvdlab. At least that's the way the tutorial makes it sound and that's the way I have always done it. I use Vegas 5 and save a video and audio file, then transcode the audo to ac3 using ac3machine and transcode the video to mpeg-2 using cce, then add those files to dvdlab and author from there. I've had great results every time.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  3. level42

level42 Member

thank you for responding. My understanding is that dvd lab will support ac3. According to the guide once the streams are demuxed to the asset bin I just have to drag and drop the video to the movie timeline window and the audio to the audio timeline which I do.Do I really need to use those other programs to get this done? Thanks again.

4. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Probably not then. I forgot that dvdlab would demux when you added a video with audio. I should have paid closer attention to your first post. I understand now that you are probably just adding the .vob files right off of the dvds. So they should already be in the correct format anyway.

5. level42

level42 Member

Any Idea what to do next? I tried email to dvdlab site and it was returned and tried fax with no luck. Any idea where I can get some answers? Maybe there is another program that will do the same I can try before buying. Thanks again.

6. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

When you preview in dvdlab do you have audio?

7. level42

level42 Member

No audio during preview. I get an error message that says"There is no application on your system associated with the ac3 file" when I double click audio stream to preview it.

8. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

9. yuppix

yuppix Regular member

I have the same problem with my backup of SWAT. I get audio for PC viewing but not my standalone DVD player. I may have chosen the DTS channel because the DVD player doesn't have DTS decoder.
    What you can do is encode the AC3 to other format that DVD Lab might take, such as WAV or MPEG. And upon importing the audio track, DVD lab will encode to MPEG at some bitrate for DVD (48xx something). For that you will lose 5.1 surround. I haven't been playing with DVD lab for a while now, because I hated it when it takes out my subtitle track. lol

Last edited: Aug 13, 2004
  10. level42

level42 Member

Hey bluebus, I checked that link before and found nothing that works also tried to uninstall and reinstall software and tried to transcode audio to mpeg but get message that file is dvd complient and tried to transcode to wav file with no luck.

11. level42

level42 Member

Hi: Did everybody forget about me? Still looking for other ideas on how to figure out this audio problem. tried to email homesite but no response yet. Also looking for software that I can edit my dvd clips. I.E. fading in and out etc. THANKS AGAIN.

12. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Didn't forget about you just didn't have any other ideas. Good luck

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

As far as previewing audio with DVD Lab, just drag the thing from your assets bin into the preview window. The reason you are getting an error is that you don't have an application set up to support that file type. Open your Windows Media Player and at the top, select Tools, then Options. Now find the File Type tab and browse for the correct file extension and enable it. WMP will complain the first time you try it using it with DVD-Lab but just click the ignore box and tell it that it can trust your source audio.

Any unsupported format you put in the assets bin will cause an error notice to pop up. AC-3 is supported in 1.3 as far as I know. I'm using the Pro beta right now. I would make sure that all the audio tracks you are adding are exactly the same file type. You may want to give the Pro beta a shot, it handles the different video formats a lot better so possibly the audio is not so touchy as well. There is also a 1.4b2 version available as well.

There are lots of different editing programs out there. I use NeroVision Express 2 for adding fades and other transitions. I've used Ulead and Pinnacle stuff as well. Even used Windows Movie Maker. Check and see if Lab supports .wmm and .wma file types. WMM is free with XP. If you have a fast PC, Premiere Pro is pretty awsome. Exspensive though, more for DV work than modding .vobs.
    Cheers,
    Frank
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  14. level42

level42 Member

Hi fastfrank: Tried your suggestion. No luck. I enabled everything on my window media player and continue to get same error message, no application on your system associated with the ac3 file. I'm also using the 1.4 beta 2 version. Any other ideas? And Thanks for the editing ideas. J.R.

15. damionm

damionm Member

Level42, I myself am fairly new with DVD-Lab, and I'm having the same issue. I've got 3 seperate DVD's that have VOB files that I'm trying to ultimately compile into one DVD, and I have to add a menu to the whole thing. Well, so far the only thing I've done is tried to import the VOB's without demuxing (because I didn't think you needed to), and I too get no audio on preview, and yes, the audio embedded is AC3. What's going on with this AC3 format? Have you been able to find a solution to this? My whole concern is I don't want to get everything together and compile this thing, only to have no sound. Thanks

16. level42

level42 Member

Hi damionm: have not found a solution yet. Are you getting any error messages when you try to preview audio? Are you using 1.4 beta 2 version and have you ried to email dvd lab for answers. I've tried and still have not heard back. I'm not sure how these guys expect to sell software without any support. thanks

17. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I never have liked that audio preview setup. For one thing, even if you do get it to work, you are still only playing the demuxed audio which, because it is demuxed, doesn't really tell you if you have any sync problems to correct. You have to wait until you compile it before making adjustments.

I think at this point you should keep playing with the media player or try another one, like PowerDVD. I think I would close DVD Lab completely and just browse for the demuxed AC3 and try to play it.

Another thing to try is to just compile the video only, check the size. Delete that and then compile with both the video and audio, check the size again. Should have gotten bigger, right?

Let's see.... You could also try converting the Demuxed AC3 into a .wav file, I have not tried that but it should be possible. I think Nero can do that probably lots of other audio programs as well.

I always use a DVD-R/W for my first burn, just to see what it actually looks like on TV. Colors have a way of changing on your menu buttons and sometimes the size needs adjusted.

Damionm, DVD Lab will not play your audio without demuxing it first, DVD Lab does not play audio. It calls a media player to do this job, and only does that when the audio stream is separated from the video. Well, that's the way it is supposed to work.

The best reason to demux is because this selection also joins the ..vob files together. otherwise you have to put each ..vob as a separate movie then linking all the movies together. That is not a problem until you want to put in chapters, although you could just make each movie a chapter. You might want more chapters than you have ..vobs so it may limit what you can do. Unless you want some short menus with lots of links. I have to think about that for a while!

Having these nagging problems suck because that part should go quickly, allowing you time for menu creation, getting the buttons built and the action colors set. That's the fun part, not dealing with unplaying audio.

Well thats all I can think of right now.

Cheers,
    Frank

18. level42

level42 Member

Thanks for the help fasfrank: I think at this point, I'm giving up on dvd lab. does nero vision express 2 do authoring as well as edit. If not, can you recommend any that author and edit and work with ac3 files. Thanks again.

19. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

NeroVision Express 2 can author as well as edit. They have some pretty good guides here:

http://nero.com/us/631956523192996.html

The one thing I dislike about the program is the menu buttons are all numbered and you can't get rid of them. They are going to fix this as enough people have complained, but not very soon. Sorry to hear your giving up on "Lab".

Cheers,
    Frank

20. level42

level42 Member

Thanks once again for your help. I'm going to try your suggestion. This forum has been very helpful. level42