1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD labels or Printer?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by apaykis, Jan 21, 2006.

1. apaykis

apaykis Member

Hey guys, i'm new to all this so bear with me if i ramble or make mistakes. I recently started backing up all of my dvd's and i would like them to look more or less nice. I at first thought to use a memorex LabelMaker. It comes with the applicator that is supposed to center the labels. I've been reading every forum post i could find and i keep getting jumbled opinions and most are from 2002. Some say that the labels will heat up and the glue will screw up the dvd and it will skip. Others say that the weight of the ink and label will make it wobble and that is what will mess it up. I've also read that it is better to get a printer that prints directly on the dvd. I've checked those printers out and the best one seems to be Epson Stylus Photo R200, R220, R300, R320, or R340. But all the reviews also say that the tray messes up after like 60 uses and the printer drinks up ink. From that it seems that its cheaper to just buy the extra copies of dvd's rather then pay for ink al the time. Also buying Printable DVD's is prolly a bit more expensive then what i use now, which is Verbatim DVD-Rs.

So basically i just want an honest straight answer. What will labels really do to my dvd's? Are there labels that will not mess up my DVDs? Is there a good printer that will work for hundreds of dvds and not drain ink? Are the Epson Stylus Photo printers worth getting? And if you which one would be best?

Thank you all in advance for any help you can offer me.

2. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

3. apaykis

apaykis Member

Thanks for the help. i checked out the links you game me and it basically confirms everything i said. so now the question becomes which printer is the best deal to get? The only ones i found to be worth it are the Epson Stylus Photo R300, R320, or R340. Does anybody know which one is the best in terms of continued functionality and ink consumption. If anybody know of a different brand name printer that prints on DVDs i would love to know. I would also like to know how good the printing is in terms of smudging. If i use the dvd and it gets heated up will it run the ink or anything like that? Also are some of the good printable dvds out there?

Thanks in advance for all the help guys =)

4. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

5. apaykis

apaykis Member

Thanks for the links. they're awsome. i also found the R300 for $100 after rebate and R320 and R340 for $130 after rebate. Is the R220 a better printer then the later versions or should i spring for the higher versions. Do they all have the same quality and ink consumption or does the R220 use less ink. I've read all the forums and everybody is saying they're using the R220. is that because thats what they bought before the R300 series came out or is it actually better.

Thanks alot Teflonmyk for all your help. =)

6. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

300-series have an LCD display for your pictures and the 200-series do not. Hence, the 200-series is cheaper... If you will be importing/editing pictures via PC, then there's no need to spring for a display. If you don't mind waiting for rebates, then the 300 is the better buy. I don't care for the screen because even when I upload pics from my cam, I can see them much better on the 15" laptop screen vs the lcd on the printer... I have the R200.

EDIT: BTW, the ink in that link is compatible with everyone of the printers you are considering...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@teflonmyk Have you used the ink cartridges from the link you indicated? Prices are great if they don't harm the printer. Thanks for the heads up.

8. apaykis

apaykis Member

thanks again teflonmyc. do you happen to know anything about the ink consumption between the R220 and the R300 series. if they are the same then i'll go with the R220. Can you also recomend a good and CHEAP pritable DVD brand. thanks =)

9. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

10. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Again, those printers are pretty much the same, with or without the display. So ink consumption should be the same too. I have a R220 and never used the original Epson ink in it, that went straight to my RX600. Think of it this way. You want to use original Epson ink, 6 cartridges from the store would set you back about the same amount of money as a brand new 200 series with ink included. So even if it damages the printer I wouldn't consider it a big loss. I get my generic ink at SuperMediaStore.

11. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

No probs with the abacus ink... On my second set. I get 150+ DVDs printed per set (same as Genuine Epson inks that came with the printer)!!!

12. apaykis

apaykis Member

awsome deal. thanks again. i really appreciate all the help. I'm just curious about how many dvd's you can print on before the ink runs out. would you be able to ball park it for me?

13. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

Didn't mention that that includes occasional document and photo printing, too!!!

14. apaykis

apaykis Member

AWSOME. thanks a lot teflonmyk. i'm on my way now to buy that printer. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

No Prob!!! Welcome to AD!!!!

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

apaykis

Just make sure you hands aren't wet when you handle them. Not water proof. :)

17. apaykis

apaykis Member

thanks guys. the help was amazing. i already bought that R220 printer and just need to get the new blank dvds that can be printed on. Out of curiosity what would happen if i tried to print on a regular DVD-R. Like the Verbatim brand?

18. drzayus01

drzayus01 Member

The paper on the printable dvd's are formated and made specifically for inkjet printers. Normal disc have a very slippery surface and you will end up with a mess on your hands if you try to print on those. You will be able to wipe the image clean off a regular disc. Trust me I found this out the hard way when I accidently bought a pack of thermal disc. The image might indeed print, but you will be wondering why the pictures has so many dots on it.........

Last edited: Jan 21, 2006
  19. apaykis

apaykis Member

thats good to know. is there anything i can do to make sure that the ink will never run. i've read some ppl use acrylic clear semi-gloss spray or something like that. but i have no idea what it is or even if its worth getting. any ideas about this. is the ink likely to run if heated or just when made wet? do u guys use anything over the ink or have you had any problems with ink runnin on printed dvds.

20. drzayus01

drzayus01 Member

I handle my dvd's very carefully. I make sure my hands are not wet when I touch them because I know that the ink will rub off. That is the only downfall.........but if you are careful you have nothing to worry about. I have never used that spray though