1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD labels or Printer?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by apaykis, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

drzayus01

I've never used a printer for DVD's but was told about wet hands and the ink. Is it fairly forgiving or if your hands are moist you will get ink on them?

2. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

I use Patricia Nomick's from Wal-Mart on my DVDs... Unless your hands are very sweaty, they won't smear, BUT I am not the only one that handles my discs so I coat them...

3. apaykis

apaykis Member

what's Patricia Nomick's??

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Funny thing is this is a Google search that I just did and who do you think is the author...teflonmyk from another forum! :)

5. clduncan

clduncan Guest

If you are looking for covers then you should go to www.cdcovers.cc/covers.php. It is an awesome site. If you want to know what labels to buy then I would suggest Fellowes/Neato Matte labels. You can usually get 100 for $20. They are nice and made well. I have been using them for 3 years and they are the ONLY brand that I like. Good luck.

6. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@clduncan You might just want to save some money and use a soft Sharpie to print the info with. If you stay around here long enough you'll read that stick-on labels cause problems down the road. Printable discs and lightscribe disc are ok but expensive.

7. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Here we go again!

8. clduncan

clduncan Guest

Thanks for the heads up. After 1500 DVDs I find out that stick on labels are bad. LOL

I am looking into alternatives for labeling my CDs and DVDs.

9. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Cheapest way is with a sharpi.
    The neatest with the above mentioned printers.
    Some prefer Lightscribe.

10. drzayus01

drzayus01 Member

"ScubaBud" I am going to have to say that it is not very forgiving at all. I wish they would make this printable disc a little better but they are not that forgiving. On little drop and you will see the smudge.

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

drzayus01

Thanks for the information. Yes, I got your PM as well. :)

I have no intention to print on the media at this time. Too many other issues will be hitting us soon with the new media on it's, new OS from Microsoft, etc. I'll lay low and stay with the Sharpie for now. :)

12. 2IIPack

2IIPack Guest

How do you print a label onto a DVD with a inject printer and blank printable media? Thanks

13. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

You have to have a tray that comes with a printer that can print onto blank media. I don't have one. I'll stick with sharpie. I did one Lightscribe and I could hardly read it. Ididn't use the most intense method tho. I think Epson 200 series will.

14. 2IIPack

2IIPack Guest

Well do you think that I'll be able to buy one for my HP printer?

15. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

Well if your'e in the US then you pretty much need an Epson. I heard of some people modifying printers but I think they were Canon Pixma. Or you can buy a dedicated printer.

16. 2IIPack

2IIPack Guest

Ok I'll look for an Espon printer then. Thanks.

17. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

I have been reading this thread with interest. So what about this lightscribe drives that actualy etch what you want onto the DVD or CD (which must be etchable). So they burn one side, you flip the DVD in the same drive and then etch the image you want. Drawback: Only etches black & non-black (ie DVD background).

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@rjessa My experience with lightscribe has been brief. The lightscribe discs I had were gold, so the laser writes on the gold background and I used a 1 pass method. I could barely read the disc. There never is a black color on the disc. I finally just used a sharpie on it. The printing is more of a darker gold color than the disc itself.

19. 2IIPack

2IIPack Guest

Well HP is the best with the lightscribe drivers. So if your thinking about getting one get a HP. But with the lightscribe they burn the image or text (you decide that) with the laser whcih burns the material on the disk. They're cool man.