1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Labels

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by klm001, Mar 4, 2005.

1. klm001

klm001 Member

Hello Everyone,

I have been making backups of DVDs that my son has. Since he is 4 years old and can't read yet, and so the original does not get ruined, I put picture labels on the DVDs for him. I read a thread stating that labels are a bad idea for DVD discs, that they can throw off the balance when they are spinning, but under the circumstances, I put labels on them so it's easy for him to pick a movie to watch. My question is are their certain labels that work better than others for DVD. I can get a pack of 100 at a retail store, but was just wondering if there is a better alternative.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

A better alternative is the epson r-200/r-300/and r-320? inkjet cd/dvd printers. They all use 6 different ink cartridges. The r-200 runs $100,but i got my eye on one at sam's club for a hair under $80.The r-300 runs around $180-it has a built in card reader. Well over $200 for the r-320 or something in that number,you get the card reader and a small view screen.

You will have to have ink-jet printable media. There are also some great sites to get your pictures and ink cartridges for very cheap if you go that route.

I am very close on considering the r-200.

3. bassnut

bassnut Regular member

Yes the Epson printers are the way to go but if you want to stick with regular dvd media then an option is to use a marker or sharpy to lable your dvd and print a cover of the movie for your disk case.

4. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

I HIGHLY recomend the R-200. I also use a spray called "Patricia Nomicks" or something like that that protects the picture after I print it on the disc. I have made several disc that you can't even tell the difference between the backup and the original. Epson store also sells the refurbished R200 for $77 shipped, if you don't have a SAM'S membership. If you want the back ups that you make to last a long time than the labels you are using are BAD IDEA. If you just want tthem to last a little while while your son uses them then you should be fine. The balance won't be off if you use a label applicator. The problem is more with the disc heating up or the labe coming off.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I am currently using the old sharpie, that epson r-200 is getting closer. I have to wait till I replace my motherboard and get this baby running 100%