1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd media preferences and "booktype set to DVD-ROM"

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by matthew23, Jan 24, 2005.

1. matthew23

matthew23 Member

I have a Plextor dvd burner (16X) and a Sony 5-disc dvd player. Both are supposed to be compatible with either dvd +/-r. However, last night I was playing a burned dvd in my dvd player and it started skipping around and looking pixelated. I had been burning at 8X with dvd shrink. Someone told me the dvd +r are better, I had been using the dvd -r . Anyone have any advice?

I went to radio shack (b/c it is near my office) and bought some philips dvd +r and when I get home I am going to try them out. Anyone know if those are decent?

Also, what is the deal with "booktype set to DVD-ROM"; I've read some posts that make mention to that and how that is why dvd +r are better.

Sorry for such a long (confused) post! matt.

2. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

DVD+R are better in my opinion, everyone does not have to believe in that..but if your burner supports Bit setting (The ability to change the code on the disc that can 'fool' the player into beleiving that the disc you put in is a regular DVD, then chances are for greater compatability (Again some ppl will disagree)

You should become first accustomed on how to distinguish different brands of recordable media from another. Many companies make different media and all are susceptible to fault one way or another. Cheap media will result in a bad back up full stop. Anyway I use a program called DVD Identifier, http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com
    this will give you the info on the philips discs you are using. check the forums here to see if anyone has good or bad experiences.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

I'm new to this too, and didn't really understand this until today. Here's an article I found that helped me a lot:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

Now, as it turns out, my Sony DRU 710A was already set to book top DVD-ROM, so that cannot account for why I've had problems with DVD+R's in my Toshiba dvd player.

On the way to work today, I bought a bunch of Maxell DVD-R. I'll find out later if they work any better in my Toshiba. I hope so.

4. matthew23

matthew23 Member

Thanks....very helpful!

How do I set the booktype set (do I do that in my DVD burner settings or in DVD Shrink or DVD de-crypter? What do I set it to?

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Skipping and pixelating has NOTHING to do with format of the blank dvd. Skipping and pixelating is the resultant of using bad media. Any dvd player made in at least the past 2-3 years can play both + and minus, like the difference doesn't exist.

Buy quality media, like Taiyo Yuden, and you won't have a problem with skipping or pixelating.

6. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

You should check that your Sony DRU 710A is actually able to booktype DVD+R and not the (More common Manufacturer enabled DVD+DL).
    I suggest you investigate any DVD+R you burned with a Disc Code identifier to check that your disc is actually book typed DVD-ROM.

7. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

[bold]How do I set the booktype set (do I do that in my DVD burner settings or in DVD Shrink or DVD de-crypter? What do I set it to?[/bold]

The ability to bitset DVD+R media is entirely dependent on your Burner or Firmware. An updated manufacturers Firmware or possibly 'Hacked' firmware (At your own risk and not recommended) may or maynot be able to give your burner this ability.

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I select 'DVD-Video' in Nero so that it is perfectly clear that what I want to burn is video for a DVD player as opposed to data using UDF or ISO format. I have burned DVDs using UDF and ISO formats before, and they will also read on my Sony DVD player. But one time it didn't read a DVD I burned as UDF, so now I make sure to select 'DVD-Video' from Nero which will tell me it will set the booktype to DVD-ROM.

9. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

manu:

I've got a dvd I created a couple of days ago to check this out with. I'm using dvdinfopro. When I look at the "liteon booktype bit setter" settings, I see:

Current disc type: DVD-ROM
    Change book type to: DVD+R

Then to the right of this are radio buttons for "Choose a book type":

Normal
    DVD-ROM
    DVD-RW

and DVD-ROM is selected.

Now, this [bold]seems[/bold] to imply that the default booktype is DVD-ROM, and I thought that if I left it alone, with the radio button selecting DVD-ROM, that's what I'd get.

And on inspecting the dvd after writing it, I see:

Implementation id AHEAD Nero
    Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 1/23/2005 14:01:25
    Format Capacity 4.36GB(4.68GB)
    [bold]Book Type DVD-ROM[/bold]
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps

[bold]So, it sure looks to me like the DVD+R comes out booktype DVD-ROM, and that booktype cannot explain why it is not playing in my Toshiba[/bold]

10. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

[bold]Hi bazilla[/bold]

Well it seems very clear that your burner writes DVD+ with the DVD ROM Booktype.

While DVD+ media does not play on your Toshiba (What model? Older machines may have trouble due to a lower powered laser) we should first try to eliminate other possible causes. Have you tried high quality media to see does that work? Are the disc's been finalized? Is your disc been written to conform with the Format Type UDF 1.02?

Is there a firware update available for your Toshiba?. Only recently my friend had to download a firmware update, put it on a CDR and update his (Standalone) machine because his back up's played back erratically. Well it fixed that.

11. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Thanks, manu, for the suggestions. They will be helpful.

The dvd player is a Toshiba SD-V392. I've checked the toshiba web site, and don't see any firmware upgrades for this product.

As for media quality, I'm reluctant to spend more money on dvd+r's just to test this. I've now burned some dvd-r's, and they play fine. FWIW, the dvd+r's that won't play in the Toshiba play fine in two other dvd players I have (one is Magnavox, and one is Sylvania). Tests I've done of the burns to the Memorex DVD+R (PRODISC) show better quality burns than what I'm getting using Maxell DVD-R (RITEK). Yet the latter play, and the former doesn't. So I don't think it is a media quality issue.

Are the media finalized? I don't know! I'm familiar with that from burning cd's, but don't recall ever seeing it as an option when burning dvd's. Any way to check?

As for format, dvdinfopro reports:

Format Type UDF 1.02

So when all is said and done, I still lean toward the view that this particular dvd player, which is a relatively new, and current, model, just doesn't like dvd+r's.

Thanks for the help!

12. kchev

kchev Regular member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Thanks kchev. Actually, I'm familiar with that site, and had scanned the listings for Toshiba, but somehow overlooked the listing for the model I have.