1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Media Rating

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Zenwarior, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

I purchased some DVD-R's from the Supermedia Store because it comes with the Afterdawn Newsletter and I guess I figured it was a reliable source.
    I read a great post by ScubaPete regarding the quality of DVD media. I never did and never would buy Memorex. I have been using TDK 4X and have had mixed results. I always burn, never a coaster. However, my dvd's break up in my DVD player (Panasonic DMR-E80H) It is a recorder with a 80gig hard drive. After an hour of play, the movie starts to pixeluate (sp?) and then freezes up. My machine was under warranty so I brought it in and they replaced the guts. Lo and behold 3 weeks later it starts again. I don't know if its the machine or the DVDs. When I lend out the DVD to friends they all say the movie was fine. This makes me believe it is the machine. BTW Sometimes the DVD-R play in my portable (also a Panasonic) and sometimes they don't.

I really got off track. That is 1 of my problems and it is also why I purchased 100 DVD's from Supermedia. They are the prodisc 4X Silver DVD-R. Pioneer Certified blah blah.

I did what ScubaPete said and downloaded DVD Identifier. I put in the TDK and the Manufacture ID is: TTG01. The one form Prodisc is: MCC O1RG20.

The question is what does it mean? Is the TDK rated at 1 and the prodisc rated at 20?

If anyone has any feedback either on this or the freezing of my machine, I would appreciate it.

Sorry for going all wacky, but I have around 30 DVD backups that I can only watch an hour at a time. I turn off the machine for an hour and then I watch the rest of the movie.

I hope it isn't the machine. It is 1 year and 2 months old (warranty is over)and cost me a bundle.

Thanks

Zenman

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

3. Zenwarior

Zenwarior Member

Thanks

Both of the DVD Media I have are top rated. It must be the machine. I checked the fan thinking it was getting hot and the repair shop said they replaced the motherboard, although they used a different term.
    It is my first failure of a panasonic DVD Player.
    I just bought their new 42" Plasma. Glad I took out the 4 year repair/replacement program. ;}