1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Media Sales!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by StanH1000, Nov 7, 2004.

1. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Sunday newspaper specials:
    Staples has TDK DVD-R/DVD+R #25 spindals for $9.94
    CompUsa has Sony DVD-R/DVD+R #25 spindals for $9.99
    DigitalFAQ.com rates TDK in the first tier and Sony in the second tier for DVD quality. Can't get net prices this innexpensive for similar quality media.

2. mimans21

mimans21 Member

Those are all good and so, but i would wait for the thanksgiving sale. I bet that these medias will be cheaper or even free. Wait if u can.

3. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

These are no hassel specials without any mail in rebates or waiting for delivery. Prices are only 40 cents/disk. Doubt any bigger savings are coming as prices are less than for web specials in this small a quantity. Free? I Doubt TDK or Sony #25 spindals will ever be promoted for free.

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Beware of trolls.

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Free ... lol that's a good one :)

6. jay33

jay33 Regular member

The TDK are garbage. They won't even attempt to burn for me.

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I've never had a problem with TDK. Why don't you check to make sure your using the right format?

8. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I've used TDK a long time ago, about a year. I bought some new TDK's today an dthey are TTG02, which I had never heard of before. Every one I tried gave me an error before the burning even started. I tried both my Sony burners and got the same result on both. I tried using Nero and DVD Decrypter, which I use for movies and PS2 games respectively. Both programs wouldn't fly with these discs. I then put in a KHypermedia disc and it burned no problems. The new TDK's are garbage.

9. jay33

jay33 Regular member

BTW, I have dual format Sony burners, so format isn't an issue. This is the first time I've ran across this problem with ANY DVDr's.

10. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Bought TDK 4X DVD-R over the summer from Costco. They identifed as TTG01 and worked fine. Not even one coaster! Burned at stated speed.
    Is the TTG02 a DVD+R or a later version DVD-R?

11. jay33

jay33 Regular member

The TTG02 I got are DVD-r. I may exchange these tomorrow for the +r, but I'm not sure if they are the same or not.

Also, these doscs are very light in color, which is usually not a good sign. The darkest discs I've ever used were some Verbatim Datalife discs, which were a very deep color. No surprise that those discs all burned fine and play back fine.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004
  12. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

The TTG01 TDK DVD-R disks were light also. Much lighter than Ritek G04, but as stated above they worked fine - 100% success with my TDK 440n 4X burner. Both TDK TTG01 and TTG02 are highly rated by nomorecoasters.com (digitalFAQ.com).

13. jay33

jay33 Regular member

TTG02 aren't rated at nomorecoasters.com.

14. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

It is TDKG02 and TTG01 that get the high rating on nomorecoasters.com. Agree, TTG02 not mentioned, but is there really a difference from TDKG02 to TTG02 by TDK? Sounds very close. Maybe just a typo?

15. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I bought the TDK 8X DVD-R special at Staples, #25 for $9.94. Media code TTG02. Color of media is identical to the TDK 4X TTG01. Labeling is same except for the 8X instead of 4X. Expect similar quality to the previous series rated at slower speed. Price for quality too tempting to pass up.
    Has anyone checked out the Sony deal at CompUSA? #25 for $9.99, but were these 4X or 8X and what was media code? I chose the TDK over the Sony because of the ratings at nomorecoasters.com

16. bigdm

bigdm Member

I thought the TDK DVD +R on sale at Staples were 4X not 8X

17. qetuo

qetuo Member

The new TDKs (8X) are for sure far inferior quality compared to the 4X that were excellent...

Most of them are manufactured by CMC, which is not good in my opinion. As time passes, though, they get better manufactured but still they are not the top quality TDK used to be.

Especially if you have some DVD-recorders picky at media like the Plextor 712 for example, I dont recommend them, as you will have a lot of coaters. Other recorders might have no problem with these, but its a risk anyway...

I would prefer much more the Ridata (G05) at this level of quality.

18. blktalon

blktalon Member

I bought two 25# DVD-R 4x from Costco and while I only experienced two coasters during burning, I find multiple errors upon playback on a stand alone DVD player(they are movie rips), and am unable to copy via DVD-Decryptor or Clone. Both find multiple errors in various sectors. The Taiyo's and Mitsui's burn/copy/play fine. TDK's are garbage. They had a media code of TTG01 and are made in Taiwan according to the packaging. The +R's seem to be made by the same plant as they are also made in Taiwan.

Upon closer examination, imperfections in the dye spread as seen towards the outer edges of the TDK's, are drastically more evident than the Taiyo Yudens which are almost perfect upon similar examination. Another indication of sub-standard manufacture. I don't notice any color/hue differences between the two.