1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd media- still am confused on whats best.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by nyblue_71, Nov 6, 2004.

1. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

I am a newbie and have read alot of different guides on burning and dvd media. I am still not to sure which media I should purchase for my burner.I have read that princo,maxell and ritek are the best in media. Is this true? If so, where can I get the best deal? Someone told me www.egghead.com had good deals on media. Also, next to the media is 2x,4x, etc. Is this important? Thanks.

2. DAVNET

DAVNET Member

I tried alotta' brands. But, Ritek & Ridata work real good for me. I shop pricegrabber.com to find the best price. If your burner works well with a particular brand, always use the same than.

3. kinza

kinza Regular member

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

myblue,
    Princo is not good for vidio reproduction. Taiyo Yuden is the best. Maxell, TDK, and Verbatum are good. My personal favorite is Ritek Ridata dvd+r (Ricohjpn R01). I think you meant Newegg. Thats where I buy all my media. Look here. http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=71&DEPA=0

5. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

If you truly want the best then Taiyo Yuden should be your choice. They are more expensive but you really get
    what you pay for in DVD media. Ritek and Ridata are also
    good products. I keep a spindle of Taiyo Yuden handy for
    archiving important things like family movies and pictures and many documents that I need. I would not trust my very important documents and pictures to anything but TY. I use Ritek RICHOJPNG01 for all my
    movie duplications. Zeide

6. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

Here is the best place I have found to by DVD's.
    http://www.supermediastore.com/ I used to buy from newegg.com, but have found the deals here to be comparable. And they very often have rebate coupons.
    I buy Ritek, TY and Prodisc. The're all good.

7. pieman

pieman Regular member

vatsim..absolutely right.TY without any doubt.FAR too much inconsistancy with 'ritek' dyes.Ive thrown about 100 blanx away after trying tys, felt weird bunging traxdata and ridata!!

8. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks for everyones response. There seems to be different opnions on which media is best. I guess I can one at a time and see whats best for my burner. I have teh plextor 712-uf. Also,no one answered me on what teh designations mean on the media,2x,4x,8x???? Is that the speed at which it can be burned?

9. Gnomex

Gnomex Regular member

pieman,

You hit it on the mark. The 1X-8X (or faster) rating is how fast a given burner can write to the media. Your new plextor can write upto 12X on 8X DVD +r media.

However, I would avoid writing above 4X on movie backups. It has been noted that very fast burns cause unwanted write errors. As for my two-cents on the media question, purchase a sampler pack from a store and see what works for you.

10. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks,so you think I should get media rated at dvd+ 12x? by the way,I have dvd-r fuji media now. Is it a big difference by switching to dvd+r media?

11. blktalon

blktalon Member

ny_blue,

Several older posts and the FAQ on this site can help to clarify your confusion but basically, it all comes down to a matter of what you want to do with your burns. Are you backing up data, burning video, ripping DVD's? Each use will draw different responses.

Many people seem to agree(I am one of them) that the Taiyo's are the best media. They have a history of making excellent media from back in the day when there was only CD-R's. Mitsui gold's were the top(though you paid out your a$$ for it), then, followed by their platinum(both had different dyes), and then Taiyo's. I have purchased and burned through over 150 mitsui(MAM-A) discs and only 1 had a bad media code, the rest play back perfect. I do have a concern about their physical appearance(sloppy dye spread on the edges) but they seem to have excellent data retention and burn flawlessly on my Lite-On. I am currently using Taiyo's and have just gone through my first 200 or so DVD-R discs(a second shipment of 500 discs is due tomorrow) without any problems at all. Of course, I am burning at 4x and only using DVD-R's for my DVD rips as they play in a wider range of DVD players. For data backup, I would probably recommend DVD+R media as it is generally cheaper.
    Unless you are burning a ton of data or attempting to replicate discs on a regular burner, just get the 4x or whatever is cheaper. I haven't seen any 12x media out but I don't see the sense in paying so much more for 12x when 4x should suffice. Once again, this depends on what exactly you are planning on doing. Hope that helps.

12. blktalon

blktalon Member

P.S. It is just my opinion but I really don't see the sense in burning to sub-standard or unproven media. DVD burning is so slow still that I can't justify gambling my time and effort on sub-standard media. The only reason I would use anything other than TY is for some quick data transfer, or giving away a copy of photos/video. Right now, anything I would burn to DVD is worth saving and worth the few extra cents it costs for the TY. Their 4x media comes out to less than $0.80 a disc including the fricked up shipping everyone charges to my location.

-just my $0.02

13. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks for everyones suggestions. I finally am burning movies and used the media that came with it from plextor,a DVD+R 8X. It burned at an incredible speed,I was amazed. Then I used a fuji DVD-R 2X. The speed was horrible. I will now purchase only DVD+R 8X by either plextor or the Taiyo Yuden or Ritek Ridata.Thanks again everyone for your suggestions.

14. kinza

kinza Regular member

Have u watched the movies yet? Is it skipping or is the video choppy? I can burn at 8x, but choose to burn at 4x. I would rather spare a couple of minutes than losing quality.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

nyblue_71
    Use this proggy to see what manufacturer made the media that came with your burner (the one that worked so well for you) and purchase some more of that media.
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

16. manestle

manestle Member

Speed is the key! Slower is absolutely better in all respects. Burning an audio CD to burning a DVD. If you can spare the time it is worth it to back down your speed to 4X. A lot of the problem with burning at a fast speed is sometimes your burner will get a head of the source reader which requires the burner to stop and allow the reader to catch up a bit resulting in more time to burn. I've actually burned discs at a slower speed that got done faster than a faster burn speed because of this. At a slower speed it created a steady burn without any pauses. So regardless of the media burn speed is the key.

17. nyblue_71

nyblue_71 Member

Thanks again for your suggestion. I actually did watch the movie that I burned with the plextor DVD+R 8X MEDIA. It played flawlessly. I will check to see who manufactured it and order more.