1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+ Media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by darkstar1, Mar 9, 2005.

1. darkstar1

darkstar1 Member

Hey,
    My burner supports 16x Media only under DVD+ media, Is DVD+ Media any good because the guy behind the counter at a store recommended DVD- because its more compatible. Well anywho, anyone have a problem with DVD+ media? Im just looking to back up my PS2 games and DVDs thanks. My PS2 is chipped already with the DMS4PRO for anyone who knows what im talking about. Well anywho. Thanks.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

You've got a 16x burner and the guy told you - "dash" was more compatable?

Compatability varies between burners and stand alones.Most of the 16x burners are dual format,so I hope yours is. Try a small pack of quality media like maxell in a 3 or 5 pack.And pick up a pack of both +4x and -4x maxell's. Very good quality,which you will find out how critical media quality is.
    I play my + backups on 4 ps2's and have yet to find a pc drive or stand alone that will not play my benq + backups-that's 30+ players.

I am not sure on backing up ps2 games,but my buddy sticks with dash format and a very slow burn.

Try both formats,good quality media,and 4x burnspeed max to start with and give her a go. Good Luck

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I would think +Rs would be better especially if you can set the booktype to 'DVD-ROM' which is what the games you buy on the shelves are. (You can't set booktypes for -Rs). It's more important to pick a good media brand than +/-R media.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That is true but not all burners are capable of doing this. Pioneer is one that isn't.

-r media seems to be more compatable with older set top players but +r seems to be more so on newer players.

Hey saugmon, how do you like that benq +r media. I was gonna try some inkjet printables but they were out of stock. I heard they were made by daxon. I bought a 25 pk of beall dvd+r inkjet printables instead just to try out. These have performed good so far except the top 3 had scratches towards the outside of the disc but even these played good untill the end of the movie at which point they froze for a few seconds in a couple of places. The ones that aren't scratched play perfect all the way through, every bit as good as ritek. Thanks.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey mort81, I haven't tried any benq media yet.From what I have read,the canadians are getting the best deals on them. I've heard some good things on both benq and beale.

I did pick up another benq 1620 for my backup pc this week and this baby burns flawless and plays its backups flawless on all my stand alones,just like my main pc and is booktyped to dvd-rom.Now I don't have to use different recipes on my backups to play on different players-100% compatablility using + format. These benq's burn anything I slap in them like ricohs,mcc,mxl,and yuden t02. I know it doesn't like verbatim -4x mcc-01rg20 so I will stay away from them.That's verb dash is the only ligitimate coaster I had this year. I'm always trying out good new media.

I have run into a few verbatim spindles that had scratches on the top 2 or 3. I just made sure I reduced my target on them and they were small movies and they worked out great.

I didn't know pioneer doesn't have the booktype feature. Can the book-type be set for dvd+rw,I wasn't sure about that so I left it off my earlier post.

I will be getting an epson 200,300,or 320 pretty soon and will be needing printable media,so I will take note on them, Later

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I guess I misread or misunderstood your post. When you said benq + backups you were talking about your burner. Thats cool.

Yea pioneer was in the -r camp when it was being developed. I don't own a pioneer (and never will) but I guess they perform well with -r media. I won't own a burner that isn't capable of bitsetting.