1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd movie burning slow

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by madmac68, Jul 6, 2007.

1. madmac68

madmac68 Member

To anyone who knows: I have a 16x DVD burner however, it takes 11 minutes to burn one movie even though on a different computer in my home, it only takes 6 minutes for one movie. does anyone know why this is happening?

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

3. madmac68

madmac68 Member

I checked all of them, and they all read DMA if available. Any other suggestions.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Current transfer mode shows dma also?

I'll ask the obvious question so don't hate :) Burn speed set at the same speed on both pc's?

What's the make & model of the one that takes 11 mins? Firmware up to date?
    How about the media you are using - which brand like Sony +R 16x.

If the media id of the media you're using isn't in the drives firmware the drive might write at a lower speed to compensate. This might be the reason it's taking longer.

5. madmac68

madmac68 Member

Current Mode is Ultra DMA Mode 4.
    The burn speed on both is 16x.
    It is a Gateway 5272E.
    I have no idea what Firmware means, sorry.
    I'm using Sony DVD+R 16x disc

6. binkie7

Firmware is the instructions for the drive - think of it as a sort of operating system.
    One important thing firmware does is give the drive the media codes for it to have the right read and write strategies.
    If media code for the manufacturer of the disc you are using is not in the firmware then the drive will use a generic write pattern and possibly a lower burn speed.

For the make, model & firmware version in Nero go to Tools (toolKit for nero 6)> InfoTool. In the drive tab there's a field there for the version. The drop down will list the make and model.
    There may be a firmware update but when pc manufacturers support the drive like Gateway does for yours they're not the best a keeping the drive up to date.

Try burning at 8x speed on this pc - 8x should take about 8 mins give or take. It may do better with the reduced speed.

7. madmac68

madmac68 Member

I appreciate your help, I just have not been able to find the Firmware info. Burning at 8X is even slower than the 16X.

8. madmac68

madmac68 Member

I found it. The Firmware version is JG03.

9. binkie7

Ok - looks like you have the latest firmware. I have the same drive - GSA-H11N in a Gateway pc - no updates on the drive.

The drive may do better with different media - Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or made in Japan Fuji or Maxell if you can find it. I still leaning toward the media compatibility bit.

I haven't used this drive alot at all - but using Taiyo Yuden 8x media it burned in a little 8 minutes.