1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd movies to hard drive

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by breapinky, Jan 19, 2007.

1. breapinky

breapinky Member

I have a few home videos I've made with my camcorder. What I want to do now is play with them--use different clips of them. How do I save the movie to my hard drive to be able to edit them using mgi video wave or windows movie maker? Any ideas?

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

3. breapinky

breapinky Member

I'm following the steps and I get to the compression of the audio file and i get an error message that there are no audio files to compress. Do you have any idea where I'm at or how to help me?

4. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Is the sound on the DVD AC3? If so, did you install AC3 filter?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  5. breapinky

breapinky Member

When it asks about the audio compression--I don't know which setting to chose. IT gives a list. When I follow the steps provided on the tutorial, the setting it tells me to chose (DV Audio -- NTSC)is not on the list provided in VDub. So when i go in and convert to avi the error message says no audio decompression could be found. I dod just download the AC3 filter, but that's not helping me...

6. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Appartenly you either did not install the DV codec at all or something went wrong. Try installing the Panasonic DV codec again and check if it is installed as pdvcodec.dll in the video codecs list in the device manager.

7. breapinky

breapinky Member

Ok-I reinstalled the panasonic codec-it does show up in the device manager as pdvcodec.dll. But i still don't know what to chose for a decompressor in the audio menu. I tried each option shown but I keep getting the error message. ???????

Simply put the recorded DVD in your PC’s DVD drive, open the file explorer and browse to the folder VIDEO_TS on the DVD. You will find a number of files with the extension .IFO, .BUP and. VOB. The VOB files contain the actual video and audio. If you want to look for specific footage, you can open a VOB file in the Windows Media Player or a software DVD player like WinDVD or PowerDVD and see what footage is in the specific file. Simply copy the required VOB(s) to your hard drive.

I don't entirely understand that strp--all I did was copy the dvd onto my hard drive and just use the VTS-01 file to work with in VDUB. Is that maybe what i'm doing wrong? I don't see where it says VOB files when i copy the dvd???????

8. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

I don't know what you're doing wrong, but the method does work. It is being used by many, many people.

I assume that you copied the whole folder VIDEO_TS to your hard drive?
    Also make sure that you select a VOB file and not an IFO file. Maybe the VOB file that you selected does not contain sound at all? Check the VOB file that you want to convert to see if it is OK.

9. breapinky

breapinky Member

That's what i'm saying...I don't see a VOB file. All i see is
    VTS_02_0. That's all i see.
    What is a VOB? I copied the whole movie to my hard drive.
    ??????????

10. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

There are no VOB's? Does this DVD play at all on your PC?
    Did you finalize the DVD? If not, it will not be recognized as a DVD-Video by your PC.

11. breapinky

breapinky Member

Yes. If I put the dvd in my pc it plays automatically. It works the same way in my dvd player. That's where i'm confused.(well all in all i'm confused) All the files shown are VTS files. Either dvd movie, dvd movie info, or back up file of the IFO. There is no where that shows a VOB file. Any more info?????

12. breapinky

breapinky Member

I FIGURED IT OUT USING ANOTHER PROGRAM. MAGIC DVD RIPPER. IT WAS SOO EASY. ALL I HAD TO DO WAS CLICK ON THE "CONVERT" TAB AND CHOSE THE AVI SETTING. I CAN NOW EDIT IT WITH MGI AND WINDOWS MOVIE MAKER. I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE VDUB--BUT THANKS YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!

13. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

Please turn off your Caps Lock when posting.

Things become clear to me: you have your Windows configured in such a way that you just don't see the extension of your files....
    The VOB files are the movie files, so those are the ones you should open in VirtualDUB.

PS: If you want to see the extensions of your files, in windows explorer select Tools->Folder Options and select the "View" tab. Turn off the setting "Hide extensions for known file types".

BTW: if you use your paid program, make sure that you use appropriate AVI settings, if possible use DV-AVI, because this has a major impact on quality. Whatever you do, never use wmv is your final goal is to create a DVD.

14. breapinky

breapinky Member

Ok. Thanks for the tips. Why should I not use the caps lock when posting?

15. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

16. breapinky

breapinky Member

Ok. Thanks.