1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd newbie needs help!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by s_sawyer, Oct 4, 2003.

1. s_sawyer

s_sawyer Member

just got a pioneer 106 and need some help!

1- how do i go about backing up my dvds?
    2 - whats dvd 5 and dvd 9?
    3 - what software should i use?
    4- how do i create multi dvds?
    5- how do i take a film off a multi and put it on a dvd on its own?

Basically i need to know everything! lol

thanks shaun

2. baabaa

baabaa Active member

You're not asking for much first time out then, don't you need to know a little more, like who invented the wheel.......LOL

Anyways....
    There really is LOADS of info you need to know but the basics will get you get you going....

Firstly Movies that you own (commercial dvd's) NEED to be decrypted in order to remove the protection, so your PC can then backup this info - this is known as 'ripping'.

You can also make things region free this way, but that is slightly off topic...

DVD5 is single layer and can hold approx 4.7Gb of data (actually slightly less - 4.5Gb more or less).
    DVD9 is dual layer and can hold double that of the single layer DVD5.
    Blank dvd are only available in DVD5 format (at the moment).

Therefore, you can rip a FULL DVD5 and back it up 1:1.

For a DVD9, you need to strip bits out (extras/subtitles/audio streams etc) OR compress (squash) the data in order for it to fit onto a DVD5...

In order to get you going, in easy terms you need the following:

A suitable ripping program
    A suitable stripping/compressing/reauthoring program
    A suitable Dvd burning program

Most programs cost you money and unfortunately, the burning software you may have to buy unless you received it with your Dvd burner.

I use Dvd Decrypter for ripping
    Dvd2one for compressing
    Recordnow DX for burning

As you are new, I would suggest you visit http://www.chrismccann.co.uk for some good pointers and useful links to software and various guides.

Personally I think you should start with Dvd Shrink as this will give you a good insight into the structure and make up of the dvd structure, this is available for free in the downloads section here at afterdawn, or via the above link...

Dvd Shrink can rip/strip/compress and re-author a dvd to produce a dvd compliant structured set of files.

The key, is to put ALL the produced files into a folder called VIDEO_TS (in capitals) and burn the folder.

Multi dvd's are pretty straight forward, if you know which files you want, as most ripping programs can rip what you ask it to, then you can process them with Dvd2one or Dvd Shrink..

Dvd rippers - Dvd Decrypter/Dvd Shrink/Smartripper

Compression programs - Dvd2one/Dvd Shrink

Burning programs - Nero/Recordnow DX/CloneDVD and others.

Have a scout round the downloads section, if you already have a burning program then all you really need is Dvd Shrink.

Be warned though, it is not as straight forward as CD producing, and you will probaly visiting here on a regular basis until you get a reliable method working.

Have a look at the info, and if you have any more Q's, just post them, cos there is plenty of knowledge here who are willing to help....

Good luck...

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I cant believe someone had the patience to answer all those. S-Sawyer - next time have a look around the forum and read the guides. Its a bit ignorant to ask those questions when the answers are sitting right in front of you.

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I am homing my typing skills......don't mind really - especially when I am looking at a career change from engineer to secretary...LOL

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Oh dear - thats a big career change LOL :-D

6. baabaa

baabaa Active member