1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Only Plays Once

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mtrim, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mtrim

mtrim Member

Ok, I just got a Dvd-Burner (BENQ EW1621 - External) and I've burned a few dvd's successfully but recently I have been having a strange problem. The dvds will only play one time on a standalone dvd player and after that they will display "disc loading" for a while followed by "no disc". The media I'm using is Memorex 4X DVD+RW (burned at 2.4X the slowest possible on my machine). It has happened with dvds authored both by dvd-lab pro and nero vision express, and both were burned with nero as dvd-video. Also, the dvds will always play fine on my computer. I'd be happy to answer anymore questions about what I've done if anyone has any ideas... so please help :)

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello mtrim, sounds like your media is bad. Since the pc plays it perfectly "as usual",the poorer media quality will be highly magnefied when viewing on stand alones. Memmorex are one of the worst brands. They are made by 4 different manufacturers and only 1 manufacturer is decent. That puts about 10% of memmorex media that is fairly good. The other 90% junk.Usually the slower burnspeed helps on poor media.Download:http://www.dvdinfopro.com <This will tell you the code of your blanks> Check these codes at this site: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm <This site will tell you the class your memmorex rank> Sticking with 1st or 2nd class media usually takes care of stand alone player issues. Start by trying a higher quality media. Later

3. mtrim

mtrim Member

Thanks for the reply saugmon, I downloaded Dvd Info Pro like you said and it says that the the Media ID is RICOHJPNW11, so it looks like they are 2nd class disks. Do you still think its the media or could there be another reason?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

As I suspected. Memorex media is bad, but not usually the +RW they are one of the top usually.

What I suspect is the problem is your DVD player dosent like the RW disk. Have you tried a +R or -R your player will more than likely play these fine. Or just make sure you are finalizing the RW this could help, but once you have mastered recording movies you should now start using the R disk's they are much cheaper and your player will more than likely play these fine. One word of advise stay away from the Memorex -R as those are know to be a big problem for about 95% of people the +RW are fine though..

Good luck :)

[​IMG]

5. mtrim

mtrim Member

Thanks bbmayo, I'm currently burning a Sony 8x DVD+R to try out on the dvd player so I'll let you know how that goes. How can I make sure I'm finalizing the dvd when I burn it? Also, I have successfully burned one of the DVD+RW discs that came in the five pack (it was the first one I tried) and it works great, so do you think the other two that I have tried are duds or could I possibly be doing something wrong?

6. mtrim

mtrim Member

Thank you both for taking the time to help me out by the way :)

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello mtrim, I see you stepped up to sony.I had a few coasters with sony +4x in my stand alone and khypermedia burners.I used them all up before I got verbatims and Benq 1610 burner. The 2 memorex may have been duds. I had that on a couple of them from my stand alone tv burner.Keep that burn rate under 4x. The chance for errors increase at higher speeds. 2nd class media is still pretty good. Your burner will decide what it likes. If you try - format,get some of those maxell -4x yellow tops. My Benq really likes them. The +8x verbatims are my favorites on the + format. What does dvdinfopro say about the code # on those sony 8x's. I haven't tried them yet?Oh about the finalizing, I use nero and it automatically finalizes it.It does both r and rw's,but I don't do many rw's. BBmayo or another guru can explain that.Later

8. mtrim

mtrim Member

Dvd Info Pro says that the code for the Sonys is SONY D11.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

hey mtrim, I didn't see them on the list. That site has not been updated for a while.Look on the packaging and see what country they were made in. I look for "made in japan" when I get my media at a store. Japan makes the best. Later

10. antons

antons Member

If your player has hard time reading your disc's, it increases laser power, and that can destrau the media.

11. mtrim

mtrim Member

That completely explains what's been happening... thanks. Can anyone recommend a good RW media that I can use for a test disk?