1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DvD onto my external hard drive...

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by tEChniiQue, Sep 10, 2004.

1. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

I want to load some DvDs to my PC and/or external hard drives but what software will allow me to do this? Not for the creation of a back up but so I can organize them and watch them without the actual DvD. Can someone help me please?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

You just need a ripper
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/

What program do you plan to use to view? PowerDVD, WinDVD, etc ...?

If it's just for viewing purpose, I suggest using DVD Shrink and only doing the movie. This way you won't have to compress as much and most files will be around 4.36GB per movie

3. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Thanks for your response...

I do use DvD Shrink but I've only put it to work to copy dvds. I also have the players that you mentioned but I prefer Windows Media Player for this purpose. Currently I have about 96GB of nothing but movies in one of my external drives. I acquired them from a firend, who go them from a friend, etc. I just want to create my own movie files from my own collection of dvds. The avg. size of movies that I have is about 700 to 800MB and suprisingly all are DvD quality. I did some more research on this and found info on a program called AutoGK, would that help to accomplish this?

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If you want that size, then you'll want a program that will convert your files to an avi format.

I believe so, but I couldn't tell you how ... don have/use AutoGK :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 700GB HD
    NEC 2510A, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro SP2, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  5. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest

Thank u, now what program will help me to convert my DvDs to AVI files.