1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd+ or dvd- for best results on ps2 backups?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by pacific2, May 6, 2003.

1. pacific2

pacific2 Member

Hello,
    I know this probably has been asked a lot, but I can’t find it in search. The question is for Playstation 2 backups, are the DVD-r/w or DVD+r/w better (more compatible)? I know this also depends on the media type/brand.

I am considering getting a dvd burner to backup my games and am stuck on either getting a dvd-r/w or a dvd+r/w ( I know about the new Sony dual format burner, but way too expensive for me.) . I am leaning more towards the dvd-r/w.

Any suggestions or experience you all have had? What types of Media worked best for you? I am considering Magic 3.1, any comments on that as well? But most importantly, is the dvd-r/w or the dvd+r/w better for PS2 backups?

Thank you for your time.

2. sdf

sdf Guest

Verbatim DVD-R DATALIFE PLUS

3. sdf

sdf Guest

is the best i think

4. JVegas

JVegas Regular member

Go with the DVD-R. It's a much better choice for games. All system should support -R but +R is never certain.

Th best is sony of course, but i have both, a Pioneer and Sony and I burn all my backups on DVD-R. Works perfectly everytime.

5. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

yes i agree with that. -R media is more compatible, and it's cheaper.

6. Zenica

Zenica Member

I posted a message with my detailed DVD+R media use results you can lookup if you like. In a nutshell I have had zero problems with about 12 games so far using Verbatim DVD+R (not +R/W) media. Flawless play with zero problems.

If anything I would steer away from using +R/W media, stick with -R or +R. Results obviously may vary from deck to deck.

My setup:
    PS2 V1
    Magic 3.1
    Toggle Switch Shutoff (I power off my chip after initial game load-no problems with in game saves).

7. hock

hock Member

Hey Zenica,
    I too use +r and I also have a V1. After installing my mod I can play my old ps1 backups and movies backed up onto +r as well as my original PS2 games, but I cannot play my PS2 backup.
    We installed a mod onto my friend's V7 and he plays his backups with no problem. PS1, PS2, and movies on +r.
    Any suggestions?