1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD playback problems only on PC.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by SubliminL, Aug 30, 2004.

1. SubliminL

SubliminL Member

Hey guys,

I have a problem that has been bugging me for quite some time. My PC doesn't like to playback DVD's. Original, brand new, backup copies, whatever. It's got about a 75% fail rate. Most of them will play for a few minutes, then the screen freezes and the light on the dvd drive just stays on. Some of them make it 3/4 of the way through the movie before freezing.

My PC is built, and should have no problems (gig of memory, XP SP2, 2 gig XP chip, nf2 chipset) and I'm using the powerdvd decoder.

This happens in both media player and power dvd.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. djcsurf

djcsurf Guest

Just a thought but was it working fine before you installed SP2 as a few people i know have had various different problems with it. Do you have another drive you could use to see if the problem still persists.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Windows XP Pro SP-1 / Barton XP2500+ @3200GHz
    Twinmos DDR400 @430MHz / Abit NF7-S v2.0
    Western Digital 120Gb Sata[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2004
  3. SubliminL

SubliminL Member

Interestingly enough, I've had this problem, at least periodically, since I was running millenium edition. The only components that remain the same since then are powerdvd, and that is in a version one or two newer then back then.

Argh.

4. ukjimmy

ukjimmy Member

Hi there,

I'm not sure if my problems are similar to yours, but they may help!

I have been trying to play some recorded DVD's on my brand new laptop with limited success. Only 2 out of the 6 I bought will play on my computer, whereas they all play on standalone DVD players. Interstingly the same is true when I tried my PC at work, only the same 2 played the other 4 didn't. Does anyone know if the DVD players (ie the lasers etc) in computers (especially laptops) are not as good as the stand alone players? It would make sense that a stand alone unit would have better components than the slim laptop DVD units but I would have thought if a disc is playable in any machine then it would play in all?

By the way, I know that the DVD's I was trying to play are poor quality, they are pirate copies which I know is bad but I'm living in Malaysia at the moment and they are about all that is available! Any way the movies are so heavily censored here I need to buy the pirate copies so I can make sense of whats going on!

Any help/advice most gratefully received
    Best wishes

Jimmy