1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Playback problems

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by puppetman, Sep 9, 2004.

1. puppetman

puppetman Guest

I have the same problem as I see written many times in these forums i.e. I have no problem burning dvd's with Shrink and nero, but sometimes on playback the picture starts to pixellate at about 1hr and 10 mins, shortly thereafter it freezes. Now if I take that same DVD (which is now very hot to the touch) and put it in another (cold) DVD player it continues to play perfectly from the place it froze. Now, the interesting bit, if you put it back into the original player once it has been allowed to cool down, it also plays perfectly from where it froze before!!! Could the laser in the DVD player be affecting the surface of the DVD if it gets too hot? Also, if the DVD is very long, say 3 hours, it often does the same thing in the secong DVD player after about 1hr and 10 mins!
    I use Ritek G04 discs and burn on a Panasonic LF-D521, Sony DRX-510UL and Pioneer 104. Usually this does not happen if played back on the PC internal DVD player. Some thoughts on this would be very much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Deeman

Deeman Guest

Sounds like a bad stand alone player. Apex makes good ones for 40 bucks now that read both +/- R.

3. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

I was going to say the same thing. Sounds like the player is not compatable with copies. Either that or you have done something stupid like sticking pretty labels on the disc.

4. Deeman

Deeman Guest

Some heat is normal but getting "hot", I don't know about that one.

5. puppetman

puppetman Guest

Thank you Deeman and Agent-k for your time and replies. Actually the DVD players I am using are a Coby high end player and a Panasonic DVD recorder/player. Also played them on an Initial portable DVD player. Most of the time the DVD's play perfectly so I don't believe the players are not compatible and I will be sure not to do anything "stupid" like putting on pretty labels!

6. cellspawn

cellspawn Member

I have the same problem, I have a brand new Sony DVD player. At the last 15 or 20 minutes of the movie it glitches out and then freezes. I use Shrink/nero to burn it. I also have tryed it on 4 other players (including the computer dvd player) and on other media...still same problem come up.

7. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

Your problems are more than likely due to the media you use.

Your options:
    - use better media.
    - burn at a lower speed.
    - lower DVD Shrink target size to 4300MB, so as not to write to/read from the discs outer-edge.
    "Edit >> Preferences >> Target Size >> Custom >> 4300MB"

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I agree with ddlooping. Even though a lot of people praise ritek g04's I believe their quality is starting to vary from batch to batch. My first batch played perfect but my next batch was hit and miss. I managed some good burns if I slowed to 2x. I have switched to ritek dvd+r's (which code out as ricohjpnr01) and am booktyping them to dvd-rom and although they are 4x media they burn great at 8x. Every burn since switching to this media has been perfect. I would try some different media (taiyo yuden or ricohjpn for example) before getting all freaked out thinking you have a hardware, software, or standalone player problem.

9. cellspawn

cellspawn Member

I read on: www.digitalfaq.com about media types, and all of it is clear to me now. I was using Memorex DVD+R "thinking was a name brand". But as it turns out the outer-edge on 17 out of the 50 I burned the outer-edge will not or (is not burning right) because of the quity of the disk. I have half of the blank disk still, Im going to burning the rest at 4300mb so the rest of them will not become costers.

I also tryed Nero CD-DVD Speed to check out the bad disks that were burned and with all of them the outer-edges were unreadable.
    thanks...to all the Afterdawn members