1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player DVD+RToo???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jaydee123, Dec 31, 2003.

1. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

I have a GE DVD player model number DGE105N I just bought a week ago. It says on the box that it will read DVD-R/RW & +RW it doesn't say DVD+R. In the manual it doesn't say anything about this. and I know that DVD+RW work. My question is before I possibly make a DVD+R coaster for this player (although I'm sure it will work in my computer) & ya waste my money.
    Does anyone know anything about this player, I can't seem to find any info on the net about it.

Dave

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi all I can Find info on was the GE DGE505N and it Plays everything DVD+r .DVD+RW,DVD-R ,DVD-RW, VCD,SVCD, MP3 ECT.....Cheers

3. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

minion, where did you get yer info????

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Probably here.....http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=GE+DGE505N+&Submit=Search&Search=Search

5. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

In my post I have typed DGE105n not dge505n, anybody else have info on this model???? & if you do please give where you got same if possible.

Dave

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Can't find it anywhere, but if it supports +R/W media it will support +R media.

7. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

FasFrank: On yer word I burned a DVD+R for this player & then it came unrecognized disc, ohh crap, but then I saw a rainbow in the distance (not really) & all of a sudden it started reading again & wawla it started to play, yahoo it works. thanks fer the info FasFrank.

Dave

8. ALAANJR

ALAANJR Member

HI DAVE
    I AM PLANNING TO GET GE DGE105N DVD PLAYER WHICH U GOT
    I WANT TO KNOW WHETHER IT WILL WORK IN INDIA OR NOT
    KINDLY HELP ME REG THIS

THANKS ALAN

9. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Alan, I don't know much about the GE Dge105n DVD Player as I just got it abnout 10 days ago. Other than it works with Dvd+ & - r's & dvd+rws. My guess is that india is on 220 volts & pal that is what I'm not sure of if it will work there. As I live in Canada & it work fine here. If you goto RCA's website do a search for this model it will give you the manual & then you can look up the info. If I have some time I will try & find out as well.

Dave

10. ALAANJR

ALAANJR Member

Thanks Dave.
    Offcourse in India we have PAL with 240v.
    I need to get a dvd player which could be around 70-80$ for my friend which could work in India.I am trying for it for the past 1 month in Wallmart,BestBuy,Circuit city, but no use.
    I will be going to India in another 3 weeks.So I need to get a one before that.cAN U PLS HELP ME?

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well Most DVD Players Can Play Pall But your problem that you aren"t going to be able to Solve in North america with a $80 DVD Player is the Problem about the 240v and the Problem with Region codeing...A Movie Purchased in say Europe will Not work in the USA and Visa Versa, and a DVD Bought in India Will not work in a DVD Player Purchased in the USA or Europe or China ECT because all Retail DVD"s are Coded so they can not be Played in other Regions...

12. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

I was reading some where about some brands that can be region free. hope this helps, but as minion say's that's only just one the problems, the voltage & pal my guess is you're probably better of just buying one there, unless somebody knows more than I do. Which isn't much. I just thought of something I read just a while ago about various firmware updates that can make some DVD players region free or there might Be some easter egg on the certain make DVD's. Can't remember where I read this But I do remember reading such. I just remember it's Nerd-out.com it has a forum there it was either on the forum or a link about this. Hope this helps.

Dave
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Here is my System INfo:
    Asus P4PE MB,itel 2.4 533FSB,512mb PC2700,ATI 8500LE 128mb Video Card,Ati TV Wonder Pro R/C, Teac CD-W58E, PLEXTOR PX-708A, Western Digital Cav.SE 80 GiG w/8mb data buffer.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2004
  13. ALAANJR

ALAANJR Member

Assume that I get a dvd player in US which supports
    PAL format and it operates on 240v.

Will this work in India or do I need to look for anything else?

14. drchips

drchips Active member

Hey ALAANJR,

buy your player from the E.U.

buy one of the cheap brands, most of them are multi-voltage (115-240), almost all of them are multi-standard (NTSC & PAL) and the majority of them are multi-region as well (check the web for code-keys for particular makes).

15. ALAANJR

ALAANJR Member

what do u mean by EU?
    REGION CODE MEANS THAT PAL SYSTEM OR IS THERE ANYTHING ELE AS REGION CODE?

16. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Alan, there are 8 region codes that are available to the movie makers for DVD's. North American is region 1 & a region 2 DVD with not play in a region 1 player it has NOTHing to do with PAL or NTSC. It just prevents us from buying cheaper DVD's from around the world, unless of course you have region free player. I don't know what E.U. means either.Atleast now you have some more info to goto the stores with. Dual Voltage, Region Free, & PAL & maybe NTSC. Good luck & good shopping.

Dave

17. drchips

drchips Active member

E.U. stands for European Union.

for the U.S.-centric among us, it is a large conglomerate of nations OUTSIDE the U.S.

[bold]The world does not consist of JUST the U.S.[/bold] and some other places that don't count.

Multi-voltage, multi-standard, multi-region, multi-function players have been commonplace in EUROPE and ASIA for quite a while now (come to think of it, just about everywhere EXCEPT the U.S., go figure!!).

It is only in the U.S. that the MPAA/RIAA etc lobby has been powerful enough to suppress the supply of such machines (using protectionist laws).

This wake-up-call has been brought to you courtesy of a WORLD-centric viewpoint.

HeeHee!! Is this the start of something BIG!!