1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player, or encoding problems?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Burns24, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Burns24

Burns24 Member

Recently, I started messing around witht the re-author option in shrink, and when I encode movies, I only encode the actual feature, no extras. Then, when I burn it to a dvd, it doesnt seem to want to play in my player (which is just a cheap thing I got at walmart for 40$ i think) although they'll play fine in any other dvd player, ps2 and my computer. I was wondering if theres something I can do so I can play them in my player, Im assuming that its an encoding error im making...

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Burns24--
    Sometimes changing the brand of media will work--ie. Ritek or Sony etc.--but generally newer cheaper players play anything--I have now found almost all new players seem to play more types of formats (ie. DVD+/- R)but compatibility varies--I just bought a couple $23/Coby players that play anything--have progressive scan etc.--My neighbor just bought a high end Sony and it also plays my copies--He had an older 3+ yrs Sony that would NOT play anything burned--only originals--so best advice is try another brand disk or get a cheap player--

Whitfield

3. Burns24

Burns24 Member

But my player is cheap, its some CyberHome thing. I thought it may be doing it because of how im reauthoring it, by just taking the main movie off the dvd....

4. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

No--a burned movie is a burned movie--does not matter which program was used to burn---like I said, you could try other media, I do know that certain players prefer certain brands--Good Luck

Whitfield

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey Burns24: Can you burn in either format?
    If your dvd burner is dual format,try the opposite format for that cyberhome.Some stand alones can be very picky reading certain dvdr's. Burners are the same way: I got 1 player that will play anything off my benq and stand alone home burner,won't play anything off my khpermedia +8x,And only plays the dash format on my new I/o 16x burner.

Different burners/different stand alones/= different lasers.

I agree with whitfield,software usually doesn't cause this,especially on main movie only. Some people have trouble on playback when they copy the entire dvd=more compression. That cyberhome does not want to read your burner. Sometimes,switching to a better media help.

I play my backups on a lot of stand alones players/ps2's/pc's/and 1 tv home burner.I can tell by the no disc inserted errors I got that those players do not like those certain formats on certain burners.

If you can find a buddy who burns and try out a few of his backups on that cyberhome,just to see if it will play dvdr backups.

If you still got the receipt from that player,you may be able to take it back to wal-mart for an exchange.