1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player plays some discs but not all....please help!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by candieass, Jul 17, 2007.

1. candieass

candieass Member

I'm hoping SOMEONE can help me...I'm ready to throw my laptop, ext drive and all my media out the window.

I've been burning DVD's for a long time and this is the first time I've had a problem like this.

1. I'm using a LG multi-writer
    2. Media: Fuji DVD+R
    Retail Plus DVD-R
    Taiyo Yuden DVD-R both printable and not printable.
    3. Panasonic DVD player
    4. Sanyo DVD Player
    5. 7" Portable DVD player

I have burned a few DVD's and have no problem playing them on my Sanyo DVD player and the portable. But the Panasonic is a different story (as well as my neighbour's Sanyo).

I've used DVD Shrink, Apollo Copy, File2ISO & DVD Decrypter (together).
    I downloaded DVD Identifier and used the Nero Info Tool. I'm at a complete loss. All the dvd's have the same settings.
    My Sanyo plays them all right away. The Panasonic only plays the non-printable Taiyo DVD's (which I didn't burn! someone else did)

I've changed the book type settings to DVD-ROM
    I've also burned at the slowest speeds to ensure a good burn.

I have been through about 22 DVD's all trying something different (speeds, settings, dif. programs)...I get nothing on the Panasonic except for a error that says it cannot read that type of disc. but it plays the non-printable instantly.

The neighbour's dvd player says either wrong disc or region code. (I burn them region free).

Can someone please please please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Since my son refuses to watch movies on my TV (he's 3) I need to make this work on the panasonic in the rec room.

I am open to ANY and ALL suggestions. My sanity and media stock depend on it...

My kids and I thank you so much in advance.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Have them burn the other disks with the same settings and try them on the Panasonic.
    Either they are all ok and the problem is in your PC or they all fail and problem is in the Panasonic.

Good luck.

3. candieass

candieass Member

I'd like to believe that it is the Panasonic since I'm able to play them on all my other players. Since my printable discs are Taiyo Yuden I can't understand why it won't play. But then again why not play on the neighbours player?

I've also just updated my firmware and that didn't help.

My dvd's also play on my friends player with no problem.

I'm sooooo frustrated....and if my son asks to watch Ratatouille one more time I'm gonna pull my hair out!

4. candieass

candieass Member

IF the problem is my PC...what would I do to correct it?

5. Galbin

Galbin Guest

I assume you're using Nero to burn the disks.

Are you sure you're recording them as DVD-Video disks, and not DVD-Data disks? Some players will play DV-Data disks, as long as all the right files and directories are on the disk. Other players are more picky, and require that the files are in a specific order - a sort function that Nero performs before burning in Video mode.

6. candieass

candieass Member

Actually I'm more lost than ever.
    I had my cousin bring her laptop over to my house. She burned the same movie for me on her computer and the same thing happened.

Is it possible that when I converted the avi I screwed something up?
    she did use my media but I can't see all the different media I have as being defective.

7. candieass

candieass Member

I've used Nero, Apollo DVD, DVD decrypter, DVD Shrink and the program on my cousins comp (don't know what it is, but nothing I use).

every single program does the same thing :(

8. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

Why not just buy another player of the same brand that does play everything and save your nerves?

9. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

The early Panasonic models will not read DVD+R media unless they are book typed to DVD-ROM. Make sure that the discs you are creating are truly changed to that book type.

Since everything appears fine with other DVD players, the evidence points to a Panasonic problem. Printable discs may have a slight tilt problem when the printable coating shrinks. I have found several Panasonic recorders that refused to play DVD-RAM media that were just on the edge of the tilt spec and should have played. As johnnyd54 notes, if everything else is OK, change the one thing that does not work.

10. Galbin

Galbin Guest

I missed that part...this certainly points at the Panasonic as the culprit. Exactly how old is this Panasonic. As JoeRyan pointed out, in the old days, players were really picky as to the media that they could digest!