1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Player Recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by Nukular, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Nukular

Nukular Guest

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market looking for a DVD player. There are quite a few DVD players out there and I'm not too sure what to get but Pioneer has always been a good brand in electronics and they last long.

What I'm looking for is a DVD player that can play most formats (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW etc..)preferbly a player that is zone free and has good picture and audio quality and it will last for a number of years without giving any problems.

Any suggestions/help/advice on a Pioneer model, or any other DVD players out there.

Price wise, $150 US and under if possible

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2005
  2. gear79

gear79 Guest

i cant tell you what to buy, but i can tell you what i've had and have..

i have an older JVC, was top of the line back 4 years ago, but only plays the normal dvds
    i used to own a LG LDVB-418, but i had to return due to firmware issues
    i upgraded to the LG LDA-511... so far so good, and plays everything, even has a card reader built in...
    this is right at your price range, and has HiDef upconversion
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1107957009599

3. Nukular

Nukular Guest

Yah, I know you can't tell me what to buy since the decision is ultimately up to me in the end. Looks like a nice model gear79 I'll have a look into it.

If anyone else out there has any other suggestions please post :)

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

a lot of people like that phillips dvp642 (i think is the unit #) but i dont like it, plus, it does not do upconversion for HDTV

5. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

gear79 :

The LG LDA-511 is what im looking at, my Pioneer Dv-414 has struck out twice this week with cd's (not recognizing them) have you had any problims like this? What media do you use? I use Ritek Ridata myself.

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

not a single problem yet, i have had this player for about 4-5 months already and i love it.... slim and sleek looking.
    i had the old version of it, the LDVB-418 (which sucked a$$), i returned it for the 511.
    the only thing i miss about it was the display was slightly larger, had an 'HDMI' light when it was in use, and it ejected faster (had a tray load system, the 511 has a slot load like a car cd player)

but its a good value for what it does !!

let me know if you do buy it !

7. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Thats awsome i will pick one up this week, Thanks. What media are you useing with it?

8. paradyme

paradyme Guest

@Nukular, Hey I like you was looking for new DVD player will play any recorded DVD/CD disc media and I read here about the Phillips DivX player (Model DVP642). I noticed 3 years ago while the BIG name brands were selling DVD players most would only play store bought originals. APEX an offbrand name made a cheap DVD player that will play anything practically that you load into it. Well now a days APEX DVD players are hard to find and there are many cheap players that would apear to play the same as the APEX, but they don't. I purchased a new offbrand US Logic DivX player from COMPUSA which they advertised with no nambrand for $49.99? Brought it home and it plays anything (DVD-R/+R and even through some tricking new hard to remove black screen encryption just like the APEX.(Pleased :)

I was looking for the Phillips DVP642 which I was told was only available online. I later returned to COMPUSA and saw to my surprise the Phillips DVP642 which advertises on the box that it will play anything selling for $59.99 I bought it too, and also notice that with the exception of the front facia of the DivX players the two players were almost identical and both made in China. I installed this one in my living room as a replacement to my older SONY 5 disc DVD/CD player which plays nothing well? These players are designed to play the following formats MPEG4, DivX 3.11/4x/5x, DVD+R-R/+RW VCD,SVCD, Picture CD, MP3-CD,CDCD-R/-RW I recommend either player.

9. gear79

gear79 Guest

sorry, i am faithful to fuji (made in japan) from best buy and verbatim.... office depot has a 50 pack of the 16x for 12.99... great deal too, i stocked up! !!

but to add, that LG player has upconversion, where as the phillips and apex do not. it also has a card reader, i do not think they play .avi files though, but the LG does..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@six.6.six: I hesitate to ask this, guy, but have you tried cleaning the lens on that Pioneer? ...I've seen it too many time; just thought I'd ask! ...Gerry

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2005
  11. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

gerry1 LOL:
    It was the first thing i did after looking at the disk to see if it was dirty.

12. gear79

gear79 Guest

licking it works too !!! lol !!

13. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Taste like chicken!

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yea...I thought it was a dumb question even when I sent it.

15. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Not at all sometimes when i am mad i dont think to well!

16. rochyle

rochyle Member

I have tried all the top of the line dvd players and I found that Apex works best. It is only $30 at Wal-Mart.

17. gear79

gear79 Guest

hmmmmm....... 30 bucks vs my $150 dvd player !!!

i guess you don't need one for full potential !!

to each their own !

18. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

Does the $30 player have Upconversion and HDMI Output? LoL

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Slightly different subject: would there be any point to have an upconverter in a DVD player if there is one in the AVR? (or is this another dumb question...duh!)

20. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

No thats a good Question