1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player won't play backups

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by fishbulb, Nov 9, 2004.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

first of all i'm a newbie and i'm very impressed w/ the wealth of info i've seen here so far. i especially like ScubaPete's guide/instructions on how to do dvd backups. that being said, i need some help and so far haven't been able to find an answer in the forums. if someone could help or point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it.
    after spending over $1000 on a new computer w/ the ability to burn dvd's, i found out that my panasonic home theater dvd player/receiver WILL NOT play DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DIVX VIDEO DISC, CD-ROM, VSD, CDV, CVD, SVCD and a few others. DVD+R was NOT listed. can i assume that it WILL play those? or is there another format i can burn a dvd in that might work? btw, i bought a pack of DVD+RW and burned one before realizing my dvd player wouldn't play it. hope i can get a refund or exchange(fingers crossed)! thanx in advance.

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

3. gointl

gointl Member

Hi,
    Another newbie here as well with the same problem. I have a Panasonic PV-D734S who also bought a DVD burner only to find out that my DVD player only reads "DVD-Video format". It will not play DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW. How is DVD-Video format different from the DVD-R/+R's or is it trying to tell me this machine will only play the commercial CD's and not backups?
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thx.
    Gene

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You sound like the kind of person who would find this interesting -

Find that answer and a million more things you didn't know about DVD's and types of players -

Excellent to check up with before you go shopping for another player -

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.10

Start at the top of the page :D)

Pete

5. gointl

gointl Member

Hi Pete,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have one other question. How long does it take to decrypt, shrink and burn a DVD? Unfortuately, I'm running this off a laptop that still has USB1.1 speed but just the same, it's still taking a good 4-5 hours for the entire process start to finish. Does this sound right or is there some setting I need to change that will speed up this process? (okay 2 questions) :)

Thanks again.
    Gene

6. learn12

learn12 Member

Hi guys... so I see my problem is a common one.. I have a panasonic RV32, but the website you mentioned Pete lists as as able to do everything, which is not the case. in the very least, the userguide says it will not play DVD + RW, or SVCD.

the weird thing with mine is that it will play vcd's that I got from friends burnt in bali or what have you , but it wont play the ones I burnt myself.

DVD dycrpted and burnt will not play like wise, although they play on the PC.

Good luck all with your queries.. I will keep on reading, downloading and burning till Iget it.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Gene,

I believe you can get an external card to get your transfer to 2.0 USB at least. As far as your time, your proessoe and RAM also play a major part it your time as well. A friend of mine has a Pent III 550mhz with 512 of RAM and he takes 6 hrs +, You make do with what you have. With my system and using Max Smooth, the Deep Anaylsis a DVD backup can take 3 hrs BUT the quality is great - Without the extras, it takes me 35 to 45 minutes from start to finish.

Cheers,

Hi Learn12, welcome aboard -

Use DVD Identifier to see what kind of disc he used ( http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ )

and then use "Uncle" ScubaPete's, can't miss, step-by-step guide to using DVD Decrypter -

By following this, you'll have an exact copy of his DVD -

HINT:
    I always create a folder on my Desktop named " All DVD Work" and before ripping my DVD's I create another sub-folder with the name of the movie I'm backing up. (i.e. C:\All DVD Work\The last Samurai Kills Bill gets Eaten Alive.)

Next - you need to download this:
    (Get your DVD Decrypter's newest version here - )
    http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Place your original DVD in the drive tray and close tray.

To do the backup with DVD Decrypter it's best to do it in the ISO image mode. First go to "Mode" then "ISO," then select "Read." Where it says "Source," select the drive containing your original DVD. Hopefully, this drive is your DVD-ROM drive. Using your burner to read a disc is hard on the drive. The constant starting and stopping of the drive can cause over-heating and can prematurely wear your burner out. If you have just the one drive, there's not much you can do but use it. Where it says "Destination," Browse until you find your pre-made folder (C:\All DVD Work\The last Samurai Kills Bill gets Eaten Alive) and select that. Now "Click" the Disc-to-HD icon.
    Me, I'm headed out to get a cup of coffee and a cigarette but I should be back 'bout the time the ripping is done, . . . .
    When the "Reading sound" signals that the job is complete, remove your original DVD and insert your *blank DVD.

Alright, I'm back, and you didn't think I'd make it . . .Now back you go to "Mode," then "ISO" and then choose "Write". Now we go to "Source" and locate our folder where our ISO and mds file resides. Choose mds. Then, let's head to "Destination" and select our burning drive where our blank DVD disc awaits. Lastly, we "Click" the HD to disc icon
    and,
    STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER ! It's too late in the game to want to make a **coaster, isn't it ?
    Your PC requires more resources while it's burning than at any other time. The only other thing that requires that much of your PC's resources is the encoding of your DVD. To copy a DVD successfully it's only necessary to use a decent grade media and to let your PC do its "thing" without your interference - until we hear the "Finished tune".

When you want Guides with a dysfunctional personality, shop ScubaPete :p)

Let me know how you get on with this -

Pete

8. gointl

gointl Member

Hi Pete,

I did the ISO per your instructions but when it came to burn it, I have twice as many sectors than what the DVD can take. If I proceeded, I assume it would copy on to two separate DVD's? I'm going to try burning with DVDshrink and see what happens. The ISO mode won't change anything with regards to DVDshrink will it? I don't think Decrypter has a shrink capability.
    *** I just tried DVDshrink and it wouldn't open the ISO files, let alone shrink them. I guess these MDS files are a different animal for when you have the capability to write on double-layer disks with data >4gig, yes?. I don't have enough space to save these on my HD. I'm decrypting and saving on my HD then shrinking and burning onto DVD+R then erasing the files on my HD. So, can I assume ISO is out?
    ================
    On the USB subject, I spoke with someone at Dell prior to inquiring with you, who said because the USB 1.1 is hardwired into the motherboard on my laptop that the only way to upgrade to the 2.0 hispeed is to change out the motherboard (or buy a new computer). I had someone at Dell mis-diagnose a problem once before who had me swap out the motherboard when it was only a crashed hard drive so I take what I get from them with a big hunk of salt. Maybe you can shed some positive light on this. I recently received an ad showing a PCM card with two USB slots claiming to bring USB1.1 up to 2.0 speed. Unfortuately, after talking with Dell, I threw it away. Have you seen these? Using the PCM slot, I would think it would bypass the USB ports on the back altogether. But I guess it depends on whether the speed is a hardware or software issue. Do you know which is the case?

Sincerely appreciate your input.
    Best regards,
    Gene

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Gene,

Hey there Budddy, If you re-read that post about using DVD Decrypter in the ISO mode, it wasn't for you, it was for Learn12.

Doesn't matter, you can use it too. After you rip it with DVD Decrypter, remember to reset it to Mode, ISO Write -

The secret formula is to open DVD Shrink then go to File then "Open Disc Image" and it will open the ISO file. Then shrink it and process as usual. If you need the rest of the guide, go here, 1/2 way down the page -

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/74599

That's what I was thinking of - doesn't hurt to hook it up doesn't it ? :D)

Let's do it then report back to let me know how you made out - alright ?

Cheers,

Pete

10. gointl

gointl Member

Will do, if I can track it down. I usually save everything except the one thing I need... go figure.
    Thanks again.
    Gene