1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD player wont play Menu or First Half of Movie

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by pitch24, Dec 12, 2007.

1. pitch24

pitch24 Member

Recently I have switched from burning on my desktop with XP to burning on an HP laptop with Vista. This is the only thing that I have changed. i still use DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, and Nero. All of the discs will play fine on both computers but when i try to play them on my home DVD player they all Auto start about 3/4 of the way through the movie and i cant access the menu or the first half of the movie. I have never encountered this before and the only thing that I am doing different is using Vista instead of XP. Does anyone have a similar problem or any solutions? Thanks

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

pitch24,
    Since they play fine on the 2 computers then the DVD Structure is correct. I suspect that the problem is either faulty blank media or your Standalone DVD Player needs cleaning or is going bad
    Are you using Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden Blank media?

3. pitch24

pitch24 Member

I am using imation DVD-R's the are the same ones that i have used before and they worked then. I thought that my stand alone was the problem so I tried it on a friends brand new DVD player and the same problem occurred. Would burning on a 64 bit system have any effect, i have read that if effects other programs as most are bit for a 32 system?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

pitch24,
    Makes no difference if your OS is 64 or 32. I now think it is your blank media since Imation is in the lower half of quality. If you have a BestBuy nearby go there and get some Verbatim (+) DVD's as they are selling them for $12.99 for 50. Then burn the DVD at 8X and see if it plays. The Imation's have all of a sudden started to have compatibility problems w/ your DVD Player

5. pitch24

pitch24 Member

OK, I will go and pick some up tomorrow and see if that corrects the problem. thanks, I will keep you posted if it works.

6. pitch24

pitch24 Member

Still no go, I used memorex and fuji film DVD-R's still the same result. it appears that the chapters are all disorganized and random. I have no idea what to do anymore. Any other ideas?

7. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

pitch24,
    Try the movie in someone else's player. If it plays on their player then buy another DVD player as yours was bad

8. pitch24

pitch24 Member

One thing that i noticed that is different is that after it tells me that the burning is successful I click ok and then it asks me if I want to keep working on the DVD. Does this mean that the disc is not being finalized properly? How would I check that?

9. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

pitch24 ,
    The disk should be fine as I think that is something in Vista that brings that message up. If the disk plays it is OK