1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd player wont read disc

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tubzy, Apr 20, 2005.

1. tubzy

tubzy Member

i recently got a dvd burner and am trying to backup my dvd's. But the copied dvds only work on my inferior dvd player that i got for 60 bucks but they wont work on my 700 dollar sound system. so why would this be happening?

2. hursty

hursty Active member

the expensive system you have doesnt recognise the dvd's blanks you have,and there is no way around it,apart from burning them onto different dvd's the top spec system will read

cheap dvd players will read anything and the more expensive they get the fussier they are.......crazy but true

3. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

My local walmart had the Sony 525 progressive on sale for 59., i bought one as a spare, great deal, plays everything.

4. we_rule

we_rule Member

The Sony 525 is a great DVD player. I have one also it plays discs that locked up on a previous player.

You may want to check with the maker of your DVD system and see if they have any issues with certain media types.

5. momback1

momback1 Guest

Best Buy had a CyberHome DVD player on sale for $39, with a $10 rebate.

Plays most anything I try on it,unlike my more expensive Toshiba!

Go figure!!

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Your $700 player has a compatability issue. There is something with your backups that it doesn't like. Here's a few things you can try out:

1) High quality media like taiyo yuden/verbatim data life plus/and majority of Japanese media. Some players are sensitive to different brands.

2) Slow down the burn speed. Some members burn as slow as 1x just to get their stand alones to play them.

3)Format switch. If your burner has the option for dual-format,use the opposite. If your burner has the option to book-type the plus format media to dvd-rom,that may help.

4)Switch to another burn program.I have nero and dvd decrypter.

5) Change of burners. Burners are just like stand alone players. They are all different. I have 4,both benq's play on everything for plus formatand majority of dash format. My khpermedia +8x won't play on my cheap apex player. My I/O magic 16x was very bad compatability. The dash worked better,while the plus book-typed to dvd-rom was very poor. This would be a last resort,seeing as how you want to use your expensive player.I gave $52 for my last benq 1620 and the compatability on 25-30 stand alones and pc drives is phenominal.

I've got the sony dvp-ns325 and it will play any backup from all 4 of these burners and my stand alone home-recorder both +r/+rw/-r/and dvd-rom. A very solid player and over a year old.

What is your: Burner model/brand of media/speed of burning/and programs for the dvd backup process?

7. tubzy

tubzy Member

ok thanks for the advise guys i relly appreciate it ill try and get some different blank discs asap and get back to you. by the way... so does that mean they sould work on most dvd players?

8. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

It is true that you need good media, I use Ritek Ridata, but some players will never play writable media. Make sure it states that it will. Take a disk with you to play while looking before purchasing a unit.

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Good,quality media and a slow burn speed is the first thing to troubleshoot for.I refer to maxell a lot because they have some very good manufacturers regardless is they are 3/5/10/15/25/and 50 packs. You can try a 3 pack so you don't have to pay for a larger spindle.Try opposite format,if possible.

if you can't get that player to recognize those backups,then switch to a quality dual format burner with the capability of bitsetting. This will booktype dvd plus media and make it into a dvd-rom. By booktyping to dvd-rom,you should have better compatability on standalones.You can get a benq 1620 for under $50 at newegg.com,if that is an option for you. I have 2,and only 1 ps2 out of 30 or so stand alones and pc drives that won't play my + format-booktyped to dvd-rom.

Or you can replace that $700 system for a $50 or so stand alone player. Later