1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Players Does Not Recognize Data On Disc

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dbailey, Dec 15, 2004.

1. dbailey

dbailey Member

I am using the latest stable versions of Decryptor and Shrink and have only gotten 2/9 DVDs able to work.

When I put the DVD into a player(have tried 4) it sounds like its trying to read for about thirty seconds and then gives up. If I explore whats on the disc nothing seems to be there, but by manually looking at the disc you can tell it has been burnt to.

I am using Teon DVD+R 8x dics.

It might just be a problem of crappy discs but it sure is annoying to waste all of those discs.

Any help advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It probably is a result of poor media. Your best bet would be to slow the burn speed down as far as possible. Also you can try the first guide on my web page here http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/ this usually produces the best results when all else fails.

Good luck :)

[​IMG]

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Try these tricks -

HOT TIPS for your POOR MEDIA:

!. This is a bit "wacky" BUT it has worked for some pple. Rebooting your PC (cleaning out all the memory) allows some discs to be seen better - As I said, it can't hurt and it's worth a try –

2. Here's a good fix. Compress your DVD to somewhere around 4.3GB instead of the recommended 4360MB. I.e., Go into DVD Shrink, "Edit", "Preferences" then set the "DVD Target Size" to "Custom" and enter 4300MB as the size. Reducing the amount of Data to be burned it keeps your burning away from the disc's edges where the dye on poor quality DVD discs tends to be uneven and may even be brittle and flaking.

3. You may reduce the number of errors and "artifacts" (the "freezing", "skipping" and other picture abnormalities) when burning poor media by burning at a reduced speed. It has been my experience that burning at 2.4X will succeed where faster burns will not. Don't be surprised if you have to burn at 1X. Some discs you're lucky to have it burn DVD Video at all. It will take longer but what the heck, you're saving money with those "Cheap" discs, who cares about time when you're saving $$$$ (Lol). Since you're compressing more it might be wise to burn just the movie, the less you burn the better the quality sooo, movie only, please.

4. The "Magic cleaning" technique: Try cleaning your DVD discs. Yea, I know they're new and clean but do it anyway. Do it a few seconds before inserting it into your DVD tray, use a disc cleaner, eyeglass cleaning solution or 99% Isopropyl Alcohol and a soft cotton cloth and rub-a-dub, dub. As soon as you're finished, "Pop" it into your DVD tray and fire up your program. You would be surprised how many times your disc is now "seen" :)

Good Luck and Seasons Greetings,

Pete