1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Players

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mean2u, Jan 25, 2007.

1. mean2u

mean2u Member

Question, i have sony disc that i burn on but i also have maxwell as well my friend uses another type i cant think of the name right now but here's my ? in my vehicle it will read the sony but not the maxwell my home player will read every one i have and as for my dvd portable it will read the maxwell and not sony all my players are fairly new except the home player which again reads them all i also have litescribe disc that will play in all why is it that some will play and others wont i just dont know which disc to buy other than when i see them on sale. i just dont want to spend alot of money on the litescribes for the amout that are in a pack.. thank you in advance ...burn one for me...

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

The Maxells and the Lightscribe discs can be a little expensive. Give Verbatim a try, they seem to yield a high degree of compatability with standalone players. Sony can make good discs, but are preferred if they read "made in Japan" somewhere on the label, same thing can be said of the Maxell's.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What format are those sony and maxells? Plus or Dash?

What's the brand name and model #'s of those 2 burners?

By not playing,Are you getting a No Disc error after the backup is inserted into those drives? You may also get: Wrong region,Wrong format,illegal disc,and dirty disc for that message.That usually means it's a compatability issue.

Sounds like it's a format issue-drives not able to read either your plus or dash. Some will play everything,some prefer a certain format,and some won't play either.

Some drives can even have a hard time reading certain MID coded media.It could be media quality with the majority of brand named media outsourcing to many different manufacturers.Maxell being a good example. Hitachi,Ritek,Cmags,and prodisc make their media. So 1 batch could be hitachi's,while next batch may be cmags.That drive may have trouble with maxell cmags,while perfect playback with the hitachi maxells.That MID code may change between spindles,formats,and different speed rates and some stand alone players can pick them out.

This is a good case for Booktyping your backups.It helps the compatability of your backups on other drives.It alters the plus format and sets it for dvd-rom,the most compatable of all dvd formats.It can only be done on certain drives and using the plus format only. Dash format can't be booktyped.

Let us know the answer to those questions and maybe your drive has booktyping capability.