1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd playing issue on different players

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by boob, Feb 17, 2005.

1. boob

boob Guest

i had a question, i am not sure it has been talked about; i tried searching and was unsuccessful.

how come some of my backups dont play on my playstation2 but they play in my other stand alone player? i use the same brand of disc for each. is this something i am doing wrong?

2. sunup

sunup Regular member

A friend took my +R to play on his PS2 and it worked just fine but not on his stand alone. We gave him a -r and it worked just fine. What tyoe of media are you using? + or - Try changing.

3. billwebso

billwebso Guest

Sony uses cheap lasers in the PS2 which can be very picky with recordable media.

4. boob

boob Guest

i've been using the same media since i got my drive. it is +R. it only happens on about 1 out of 10 maybe.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey boob, What brand of media are you using and how fast are you burning?

6. boob

boob Guest

memorex and maxell 8x 4.7gb. usually burn at 4x though.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey boob, Those maxell's should be higher in quality than those memorex. Those maxell's should have been made by hitachi,a very good manufacturer.

Those memorex, they could have been made by: Prodisc-r03- pretty good, Phillips c08-Who knows, or cmc-e01- a pretty crappy manufacturer.

4x is a safe,normal standard for dvd burning.The poorer media usually causes a lot of problems,so a slower burn is required.

If more of the memorex doesn't play than those maxell's,slow down to 2.4x if you can.

I have 4 burners and play my backups on quite a few stand alone players and 3 ps2's. Only one of them will not play the + format,the rest love them.My benq plays on everything,my other 3 have certain issues on stand alone players.

Does your burner dual format or + only?

8. boob

boob Guest

i have a dual layer drive. the sony dru-710a to be exact. also, one quick question. i am experiencing read times of 1-2 hours in all programs i use(shrink, decrypter, and xcopy). is this normal?

9. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey boob, I am not sure about those times. A lot has to do with: processor/ram/how big the movie is/ how much are you compressing/And if you use shrinks quality enhancements. The smooth and sharp enhancements will definitely slow you down. I don't know much about xcopy.

You can see my specs on my signature.I do mostly main movie only backups and average 25-30 mins. I have done an entire dvd with no enhancements in 17 minutes.The slow/smooth enhancements will add about an hour on my process time when I use them.

You might want to go into your device manager and make sure Your ide's are set to DMA if available. If they are set to PIO,that will slow you way down.

10. boob

boob Guest

yeah i set my dma stuff. thanks for the input.