1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd playing & ripping errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Atom_224, May 16, 2004.

1. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

Hello, I switched from a nec1100 to the new nec2500a because I thought the drive was shot. Now I still have the same problems. Smartripper claims the files are locked and need to be played. My players do not work anymore (nvidiadvd, powerdvd etc). I reinstalled the aspi layer and dvdinfopro seems to show all of the appropriate details. the region is set correctly. DVDshrink gives me a copy protection error. I am using winxp by the way. When I click my computer and explore the dvd all of the files are there , this leads me to believe the drive is fine. Anyone have any ideas? A nice new drive that cannot read, rip or record is not very useful. Any and all sugestions are welcome,

thanks

Atom

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Atom, which aspi layer did you install? If v4.71, use aspichk to see which ones were installed. The only ones that should be are ASPI32.SYS and WNASPI32.DLL

If you have both, you could try uninstalling both optical drives, and rebooting. Upon reboot XP will find them and install the driver again. Then reboot again and see if your programs work.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Atom_224, You need to get your PowerDVD working again. Once you are able to play the original movie again for a few seconds, that will unlock the drive and DVDShrink will then decrypt the movie. This happens with Shrink quite often and I assume its the same problem with Smartripper which is giving you the LOCKED error.

Jerry

4. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

thank you for all of the suggestions. I have noticed an interesting thing here. I reinstalled powerdvd and it still will not play movies. Windows media player and nvidiadvd will not play either. However they do play dvds that I have burned that are missing the macrovision and region info. When i try to play a commercial disc I don't even get a wrong region error. DVDinfopro reports the drive has region control RPC-2 and the region is set to one. All of my dvds are region 1 and I have no use for reading other region dvds. I have reinstalled the drive, the aspi layer, the software. STill no luck. It is on the secondary ide channel as master. I am about ready to fire this computer out the window :)

thanks,

Atom

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

You shouldn't have to do this to play a dvd movie, but try this. Download DVD43(free) and let it run in the background as the decrypter. See if the movies play. They should look like they have no encryption to your players. One other thing that happened to me when I got my first DVD burner drive a while back and using PowerDVD. I had a video card with audio /video outputs that could have gone to a VCR. PowerDVD would not let me play movies. Kept telling me the disc were damaged. After exchanging the drive (got same error with new drive) and trying every dvd I owned, I got a different error. It said PowerDVD could not play the movie with the video outputs active on my video card. It took 15 movie tries to get the last error. I swapped out the card and everything has been OK since. But it sure drove me crazy for 2 weeks. Your problem sounds like its going to be something really simple or really strange.

Jerry

6. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

new problem. I just tried to burn a cd thinking that it should work since my problems were dvd related. Not true. As the spinup started to burn my pc resets. I tried it three times to make sure. Now I am more confused than ever. I wonder if the dvd drive is having a conflict with the cdrw drive that is slave on the same ide channel?

Atom

7. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: May 17, 2004
  8. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

just tried forceaspi. I also tried dvd43 which was previously mentioned. Still recieving copy protection errors with nvidiadvd and powerdvd still does not play. Smartripper claims some vobs are still locked and cant rip. Of course I can't burn anyway. so i'm basically still f*cked. I did have the exact same problem with my nec1100a dvd burner last week. That is why I replaced it. Could be a power issue or something wrong with my ide controller. Any suggestions are still welcome. Thanks for trying to help me sort this one out. Maybe I should have started out in the advanced section.

thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Atom

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there Atom, welcome to our Club -

I've been following along and thought it was now time to try DVD Decrypter -

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Different programs rip in different manners - There are several settings for DVD Decrypter, we’ll try the default “File” mode first.

Question - Where did you get the Patin-Cauffin driver for DVD43 ?

Lastly, do you have any Roxio on your system ?

Get back to me with your results -

Cheers,

Pete

10. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

I got the dvd43 and other needed files from afterdawn. When I tried to reinstall dvd decrypter my pc came up with a blue error screen (crashed). It mentioned something about the irq. This sure is starting to get frustrating. I won't give up though. Any other ideas?

Atom

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Atom,

You have something else going on in your PC. A software program doesn't use or need an IRQ address. This is a hardware conflict you have going on, this explains your burner problem. It would appear that you have 2 or more hardware applications trying to use the same IRQ / DMA address. You require the services of a tech to assign addresses -

Now you know where your problem resides, go get’em guy -

Cheers,

Pete

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Pete,, Like your little fishy.

Atom, As Pete stated, looks like a hardware conflict now.
    If you only have 1 HD, put your CD writer as slave on the IDE with it. Leave the DVD burner as Master on the second IDE. See if that helps. I have seen conflicts between 2 burner drives on the same IDE. Not too often, but it does happen.

Jerry

13. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

OK, looks like I don't need to rush out to the gun store. Apparently my dvd burners and my cdrw could not peacefully coexist. What was confusing is why the cdrw and my first dvd burner worked together for a year before developing a conflict. That is common with people, not so common with devices. Anyway, i swapped out the cdrw with a cheap old dvdrom drive i had laying around and all my troubles are gone. Plus I can rip with the dvdrom and save my burner. I am glad this one had a happy ending. The countless hours of beer and spewing profanities has come to an end. Thanks for all involved and for letting me think out loud. I will check back to help field some questions from others.

thanks again,

Atom

14. Atom_224

Atom_224 Member

OK, looks like I don't need to rush out to the gun store. Apparently my dvd burners and my cdrw could not peacefully coexist. What was confusing is why the cdrw and my first dvd burner worked together for a year before developing a conflict. That is common with people, not so common with devices. Anyway, i swapped out the cdrw with a cheap old dvdrom drive i had laying around and all my troubles are gone. Plus I can rip with the dvdrom and save my burner. I am glad this one had a happy ending. The countless hours of beer and spewing profanities has come to an end. Thanks for all involved and for letting me think out loud. I will check back to help field some questions from others.

thanks again,

Atom

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

"Damn, I say Damn, the Boy, I say the Boy has had far too much beer already -
    I say he's had far too much ta drink, I mean, I say, I mean he's got the ole ScubaPete seein' double --

Remove ole Atom from the stool, he's got ta go home before I can't even drive - - "