1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD plays fine -- for a while

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bobgarick, Apr 17, 2005.

1. bobgarick

bobgarick Guest

I'm a newbie, but have had no trouble making that I think are working backups of my DVDs, but everything time I do it, I play the movie though to verify and about 3/4 of the way through, the picture starts freezing up and won't continue. And it has happened for 2 different movies.

Is that the copy protection?

I've also created (with same movie) using DVDRipper and DVDShrink, but the ultimate outcome is the same.

Please advise...

Bob

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Sounds like you have questionable media quality. Here's a few things to try:

1)reduce your backup target in dvd shrink:
    Edit/preferences/click on dvd-5/scroll till you get to custom/set target to 4300 mbs/OK.

2) Slow down the burnspeed,4x max. Some standalone players require even slower speeds.

3)No multi-tasking,turn everything off that you don't need.

4)No paper/sticker type labels.

5)Reduce the compression.

Try these,they are the first things to do when issues you describe arrises.

What brand name/format/and speed rate are your blank discs?

What is you burner brand name and model #?

3. syeberman

syeberman Member

It could also be a compatibility issue with the media and a standalone DVD player.....

Is the disc fully playable in the drive that burnt the DVD?

Jon.

4. jmet

jmet Regular member

As previously mentioned in the first reply.

If your backup freezes, stutters, skips, or has some pixelation, it is more than likely due to poor quality media being used. Cheap media is poorly manufactured around the edge of the disc, hence the reason why it mostly skips toward the end of the movie. The two main things to consider first are:
    • Is it cheap media that you are using? (ie. some off brand you bought at a local computer store/fair, even a store like Circuit City or Best Buy sells cheap low quality media.)
    • How fast are you burning? - Burn no faster than 4X, might have to go down to 2X with really cheap media.

Also, are you using adhesive labels on your back ups? If so, try removing the labels (if you can) and playing them again. Go here for more info on why not to use labels. - http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28604

You can go here for some other possible solutions: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44912

Also try lowering outcome the "Target DVD size".

Open DVD Shrink. Click "Edit", then "Preferences". On the first tab at the top in the drop down box, change it from "DVD-5 (4.7GB) to "Custom" and enter a number of 4200MB (4464MB is burning to the edge of the disc, you want to stay away from the edge as the edge of cheap media (disc's) are poorly manufactured). Screen Shot Below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2005
  5. bobgarick

bobgarick Guest

Wow. You guys are great with the suggestions.

The media that I'm using is HP and I don't know the brand of the burner -- came standard in my Gateway/Emachine laptop. But I was burning it at Maximum. I will try slower. Is HP media no good? I'll check the model # of the burner and get back with that too.

I don't think the drive that burned the disc has any trouble playing it. But if this were a copy-protection issue, would it play at all?

Also, I'm not using stickers or any other of the things mentioned. I'll try another burn again tonight.

Thanks again,
    Bob

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey bob,
    [bold]HP DVD+R 2.4x (CMC MAG.R01)
    HP DVD+R 4x (CMC MAG.F01)
    HP DVD+R 4x (MCC.....002)
    HP DVD+R 8x (CMC MAG.E01)
    HP DVD+RW 4x (PHILIPS-041-000) [/bold]

I'm not sure of which HP's you got,but out of all these, The MCC-002 should be the better out of the bunch. Those CMC Mags are what we watch out for. Very Poor quality.

Reduce that backup target like jmet posted. Try 4300 mbs. The crappier the dye, the smaller the target.

You can use nero's infotool,dvd decrypter,dvdidentifier,and dvdinfopro.com.to find the exact mfg code.
    The dvdinfopro.com has a free version. This program has a couple of tests that you can perform on your backups.You can get it here: http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Run a couple of those hp's through the scans. Nero also has the Nerospeed test. This will also tell you the bad sectors on those HP'S.

Copy protection: The newer sony Arcos encryption has been messing us up.Usually for me it is the main movie only with columbia pictures. They have been putting something different just before the trademark of LADY LIBERTY. This messed up one of my backups-at the beginning. By editing out that beginning crap,all is well.

7. riker88

riker88 Member

I have this same problem, I burn the DVD's using

DVD SHRINK and NERO

I watch the movie all is well and good, when it gets to 90% completed, Usually the last 10-15 mins of the movie. It freezes and doesn't continue, My DVD Player displays a message Disc is dirty, But I know this isn't the case because its brand new.

This has happened on every movie I have burned , (over 20)

The discs I bought are 8X speed
    I will try to reduce my burn speed to 4x see if that fixes it.

8. jmet

jmet Regular member

If burning slower doesn't fix it, try to reduce the target size, as illustrated above. If that doesn't fix it, buy some better disc, such as Verbatim, Ritek Ridata, or Tayio Yuden.

9. syeberman

syeberman Member

Some media have real compatability problems with stand alone players. The bios in the players for some reason does not recognise some DVD media correctly.

It sounds like a compatability issue, because your DVD's are written and playback on the burner o.k. If the media was faulty the burn would be stopped by the burning software. (unless you use decryptor with error checking disabled)

Watch out for fake media from Ritek, Verbatim and Princo. There is some nasty stuff out there at the moment. If it's too cheap to be good it usually is.

Jon

10. bobgarick

bobgarick Guest

I tried burning the DVD @ 4X and all seems to be working well. And that's using DVDShrink both for the encoding and the burning. Is there anything to gain by using Nero?

11. jmet

jmet Regular member

You are using Nero. You just think DVD Shrink is burning.

Nero burns the DVD through DVD Shrink interface, giving you the impression DVD Shrink is burning. DVD Shrink cannot burn.

12. Alapacas

Alapacas Member

I had the same problem! I got tired of dealing with it so I went to staples and bought a new burner. Once I installed it I had no problems anymore. It was on sale for about $100. Now all my cpies are perfect, and I'm now able to dual layer them as well.