1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd plays on most dvd players but not on my tosiba

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mydvds, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mydvds

mydvds Member

any clues on who makes the best dvd media that will play on the most dvd players. how can i find dvd media with media code ricohjpnroi?

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Best media to play on stand alones?

Good question, ty's are said to be the best.

What format is listed on your burner?

Here are some of the media that i use and are coded ricohjpn-01:
    maxell +4x-15 and 25 pack spindles

verbatim +4x media life- 30 pack spindle

sony +4x in the 10 pack with jewel cases.

All the +4x media i have tried from maxell have that code,not too bad. All these brands of ricoh media are made in taiwan. Japan produces the finest dyes so I usually look for (made in japan) on the wrapper. I do notice quite a bit of difference between my mcc003 verbatim and the ricohjpn.

3. mydvds

mydvds Member

thanks saugmon but what do you mean by ty"s and also are you saying that you think your vetb. is some of the best and my dvd burner is a sony dual format -dl drive dvd+-rw+-r dru-710a i tried some sony dvd+rw the other day and they worked great but istill wont to find some dvd+r that will work please reply

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

My mistake on ty's, "taiyo yuden" on being the best. The outright best is believed to be pioneer,but good luck finding them because i think they quit making them.Ty's would be second best,but I have not tried them yet.Verbatim is up there on their mcc003 branding.Mitsubishi chemical corp is one of the finest,but the mcc002's are made in taiwan-little bit of a quality difference.

These verbatim mccoo3 are on the 50 pack +8x media-life plus. The mccoo2's were on my verbatim +4x media-life and verbatim +4x digital movie quality.

Every burner is different on which brands of media that perform the best in them.Quite a few people have trouble with ty and mcc.Firmware updates are the usual case. Your sony burner is a high quality burner.This helps on stand alones.
    I mainly use + format because of my backup khpermedia +8x dvdrw and tv home burner are + only.

I play my backups on many stand alones and pc's.I haven't found a certain stand alone that prefers + or - only,they all play both. Screwing around on the - format,maxell 4x yellow tops are doing a great job. Re-ripping those backups with no coasters.Ty also makes some of their yellow tops.On that same maxell 4x,i have coded mxlrgo2,ritekgo4,and my buddy got a hold of ty's.Hitachi makes most of those yellowtops.

Notice how ty,mxlrgo2,and mcc3 are all made in japan.
    Here are 3 countries of sony manufacturers that I ran into.Japan,taiwan, and austria.Huge quality difference between all 3. The Japan made sony +1-8x can be burned on my benq at 16x with my old firmware.

Search around the dvd-r media forum,many threads talking about the ty,mcc,tkd,fuji, and sony. Ty's don't outsource their media very often.But there may be fakes with some of them.One guy in UK said ty's in a 100 pack spindle were fakes.50 pack spindles were true ty's.

Here is a website that can give you some info on media: http://www.ditalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

5. gadget952

gadget952 Member

I've had really good results with the [boldPlatinum Series[/bold] from a store called "Microcenter". I originally bought a 25 pk 8X DVD+R spindle a few weeks ago for $7.00 USD and they worked better than any others that I have tried on my Sony DRU-714A. Now they are up to $10.50 USD, but still not a bad deal.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0175801