1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd plays on pc, not on dvd player

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by AgentHart, Mar 25, 2005.

1. AgentHart

AgentHart Member

im using a hp dvd writer, and nero, and dvd shrink.
    the dvds ive tried to backup only play on the the computer, but play flawlessly. its a brand new pavillion a810n computer. my old computer did the job fine, ive tried many things, dont know if its settings, well I dont know, thats why im posting, anyways, im sick with pnemonia, so ill check back regularily.

2. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Hey AgentHart,

Sorry to that you have the pnemonia. Hope you get better.

Ok...now on to your question.

First, make sure, if you didn't already, to see if the media you are using can be played in your dvd player. That is the first step. Because it may play in your pc, but not be supported as compatible media on whatever you are trying to play it on.

Seems like that would be the best bet, because if you got it to burn and it went flawlessly on the pc, it is probably the media.

Hope this helps!

;)

3. AgentHart

AgentHart Member

thanks venom, the painfull part is over.

I'm backing up copies of my anniversary collection dvds. im using dvd shrink to get them on my harddrive, than burning them with nero, halfway through backing them up I got a new computer. After that, I used the same process, but this time dvd players wont recognize them. I checked for copy protection of the dvds, but didnt find any, and I tried several different dvd's, even ones that I have already backed up(burned copies). it seems to be trouble with the computer. if I wasnt hacking blood up id be pulling my hair out. im stumped, and wasting a lot of blank dvd-r's.

4. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Well that's good!

It could be 2 things, either the media player you are using isn't compatible with the media, or the media that you are using my be considered as "coasters." They are called because the media went bad and are pretty much useless.

My advice would be to see if you can find out what dvd's play in the media player you are using, and then purchase a new pack of dvd's, possibly TDK's or another brand than what you bought.

BTW, what brand did you buy, that would be helpful also.

As a last resort, re-install Nero to see if that fixes the problem, because it might also be that.

You definately don't want to be doing that, nothing like someone who is balded and hacking up blood. LOL!!! :)

It's cool...we have ALL been there, but this is definately a fixable problem!

;)

5. Bejay

Bejay Member

I have just hit the came problem, i have backed up 2 dvds in a row from two differsnt video files they will play on pc but wont play in stand alone dvd player it reads no disk but the dvd is in the player however the dvd i backed up last night an night befor using the same method plays fine enyone for this one plz?? thanks

6. Bejay

Bejay Member

sorry more info here i used vso Divxtodvd hmm while i am at it on one of the dvds i backed up the voice was out i mean not running with the mouths of the people talking would of this been me or the file i converted? thanks again sory bout the typos its this new key bord;)

7. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

That also might be the problem as well.

It was the file that was converted, the audio is more than likely off and should probably be done again.

Ok...if you can, tell me the make and model of the dvd player that you have and I can probably research it. From what I am hearing, I think that your player MIGHT not be able to play that type of file format for some reason. Computers and home dvd players are both versatile products. I know that my HTS (Home Theater System) can't play dvd+r's, but CAN play divx file formats. So this might be the issue.

LOL! Don't even worry about it, you typing is fine than what I have seen in the past, besides, your sick, and of course, why should you care if you type properly!!!!

LOL!!!

:p

8. Bejay

Bejay Member

other files of same sort will play in the dvd player after converting with divxtodvd but just seems the last 2 i have backed up an converted to dvd format from video file wont its the same dvd blanks which i used as the other dvds that play fine in dvd player the player is a transonic not sure of model thanks

9. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

I am having some similiar problems. I have 2 DVD players (Oritron DVD4119 and VHS/DVD combo from Panasonic) both claim to play DVD-R and the Oritron claims to play DVD+R as well. I am using a new Plextor PX-716A DVD burner with Fujifilm DVD-R discs. Program is Roxio 7.0. None of the discs will play in either of the players. What am I doing wrong? It there a certain order of what should be the first thing on the burned disc? Thanks!

10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Maybe your new computer has a faster writer and you've been burning at max speed. If you used to burn at 2.4 or 4x, and now you're burning at 16x, your standalone may not like it.

Try burning one at 4x or slower and see how that works for you.

You may also switch to a higher quality media. You never said what media you're using. Although the media may be rated to burn at high speed, it may not be the best thing for it.

You could try switching to disks such as Verbatim datalife or other very high quality media. I'm sure they would take to high speed burning better than Memorex or other low quality stuff.

My questions are:

What media are you using?
    What speed is your burner?
    What brand is your burner?
    What brand is your standalone player?
    What speed have you been burning at?
    Which type of media are you using? (-) or (+) R?

11. AgentHart

AgentHart Member

that s very helpfull. I think I have enough info now to solve the problem. the media are unfortunatley mass quantaty no names. not the best quality, but the dvd-r's discs have worked fairly satisfactory. either the new burner I have is a dvd+r burner, or the speed may be too high either way, im gonna reinstall my software first, and go through each trouble shooting step one at a time. thanks for the help venom, and everyone else that added their own ideas about my dilemma. ill be back in commission soon, and soo will everything else too...I hope

12. Delgado69

Delgado69 Member

I am still having troubles with mine. Any one have suggestions for me at all? Help please.