1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd printer

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jrock, Dec 9, 2004.

1. jrock

jrock Guest

i am looking at these two printers, the stylus photo R200, or the R300 color inkjet printer to print on my dvd's. does anyone out there have experience with any one of these printers. if so let me know or point me in the direction of an inexpensive one. thanks.

2. sgazza

sgazza Guest

Have you considered any of the Canon Bubblejets.

I use the i865. It prints DVD/CD's to a fantastic quality, and comes with all the trays etc you need.

It's also cheap at moment as it's recently been superceded.

3. antons

antons Member

I love my CANON! Great print everytime and no smudges! Have printed about 400DVD's with NO failures

4. hugabone

hugabone Member

Where can you buy the canon. I see the Epsons all over the place but havent seen the Canon. Very little comes up. I might be looking to buy a used Primera Signature 3 or 4 series. Does anybody know by buying a more expensive dvd printer worth it, or is the R200-R300 more than adequate.

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have the R200 and it works perfect on my Printable DVD's. There really isn't much difference in the R300 and R200 except that the R300 has a few more features I don't really need or care to have, but they both print exactly the same quality. My 200 prints lables superb which is the only reason I got it. I am normally a fan of HP when it comes to printers but they don't have one that prints in DVD/CD yet.. Cannon I stay away from they break to much. I should know I have been working on computers for 14 years and we see more cannon printers in the shop than any thing else.. JUNK!!! They print awesome I will say that they just don't last... Go with the R200 dosent cost much and prints perfect.

bbmayo

6. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I just picked up a factory refurbished R200 Epson direct from Epson for $77.00 and shipped free. It looks and performs like a new one and has full warranty. Came with everything but the USB cable. It replaced a Lexmark X73 so as you can imagine I'm tickled pink. I knew the Lexmark sucked, but this printer is far superior. Hope this helps.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  10. LadyLynda

LadyLynda Member

I just purchased the Epson R300 and on my 1st attempt at printing onto a DVD the picture was too big even though I had the setting at A4, etc.
    Does anyone know what I did wrong, and can someone please help me.....I'm new to printing DVD's (obviously). Thanks!!!

11. beltline

beltline Regular member

Assuming you're using the software that came with the epson? Click on the "Yellow" cd to the left and make sure your setting for outer is MAXIMUM 118 and for inner 23. See how that works and adjust accordingly.

12. jpc00

jpc00 Guest

Hey
    I just bought the Epson R320 after doing quite a bit of research. I was looking at printers and just happened to be in the store while an Epson Rep. was explaining their line to store employees so that they would be able answer customer questions. I was able to get him aside afterward and he told me:
    1. Epson is the only brand you can buy in the U.S. that will print directly on DVD/CD. Cannon is the only brand available in Europe. Something about patent rights or something like that. Of course you could buy online from overseas, but would probably incur heavy shipping costs.
    2. The Epson R200 is the bare-bones model, the R300 adds a memory card reader and USB hookup for digital cameras to the R200, and the R300M/R320 adds a small LCD color monitor to the R300. They all use the same ink cartridges and handle the same media types.
    3. The R300M and R320 are identical except for the color of the plastic on the case. One is being dis-continued (I belive it is the R320 but I could be wrong) and the other one is taking it's place.

I will be using mine for about equal amounts of DVD labeling and Photo printing, so I went for R320 for it memory card reader and preview monitor, not to mention it was on sale for the same as the R300. I am extremely impressed by it's quality and ease of use on photos. I had some digital prints done on one those machines in a drug store that came out very grainy/pixelated, then bought this and printed the same saved images and they were indistinguishable from the prints you would get from a film camera.

LadyLynda - as beltline said, you should try adjusting the inner/outer diameters. I use 20mm for the inner and 120mm for the outer and it prints all the way to the hub with no run-off. You also have to be pretty precise about sizing the image on the layout page by dragging the image right to the edges of the DVD/CD using the little "handles". (This is my pet peeve about this software, that it doesn't have a button to automatically fill the image to the size disc you specify.) You may also need to adjust the print position using the little white cardboard piece that should have come with the printer.

I hope that helps a little.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Only a comment I have the R200 and I love3 it I have printed over 300 DVD's with it and it still works as good as the day I got it.

Just want to say if you want the whole picture on the disk insert it as a background instead of a picture. That is what I do and they come out perfect. It's the 4th icon down on the left right under the picture one :) I have mine set to 24mm for inner and 118mm for outer and they come out perfect using Taiyo Yuden 8x White inkjet printable DVD-R's.

14. LadyLynda

LadyLynda Member

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question! I'm printing my DVD's with no problem now! Thank you!!!!

15. sakmd

sakmd Member

bbmayo...

i was just about to start a new thread until i came across your post. i have tried a few different searches, but couldn't find anything relavent, or anything that provided me with info sufficient to what i was looking for...with that said...

you mentioned that you use taiyo yuden white printable media. i've been trying to find opinions on taiyo yuden's printable media and can't find much. i've decided on ty..that's the easy part. having read so many great things about it here on the forums, i'd really like to try it out. but i can't seem to decide on which printable surface to go with....white or silver. i'd really appreciate it if you, and anyone else who has used ty printable media, could provide some info so as to help me decide on which way to go. which prints better..pros/cons...etc. one thing i've read about the white surface in general is that the graphic on the printed surface gets scratched esaily....have you experienced this? and are there any playback issues with ty printable media? and the dimensions you listed in your post....is that for hub printable discs?

also, i'd be using the epson r200 (which i will be purchasing soon). it seems to be the way to go as i'd only use it for dvd/cd printing.

thanks in advance!

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

sakmd,
    I do have the white inkjet printable (to the hub) TY's and I have had nothing but perfect results. I can't scratch any thing off even if I try? I'm not sure why that would be an issue? Maybe with the silver ones I'm not sure I never tried them I think they are more for Thermal printing. I have absolutly no playback issues what so ever with this media, and I have lent them to 30 or 40 people and none of them had a problem either. I really don't understand why people talk about having problems with them other than they probably have never really used them. I can understand the lables you stick on the disk yourself, but with these no way! I have backed up over 400 movies on these and not one and I mean not 1 bad disk yet!! I bet most people can't say that about any disk. I have also used the same printer the R200 for all of these disk's and have not had a problem with it at all of course pretty much all I use it for is to print DVD's and the occasional letter or two. I am sitting here trying to scratch a disk right now and there is no way you could scratch this disk any easier than you could scratch an original. Point is you will do good and be happy with the white inkjet labels and the R200 Printer you can't go wrong :)

17. sakmd

sakmd Member

bbmayo...

very helpful, and just what i was in need of in helping me decide. i've just ordered a pack of the ty white. once these, and my printer come in, i'll be on my way! i'm excited now! as far as the scratching...as i said, i had read one post where the person said perhaps the dvd player was producing the scratches. i don't know. at any rate, your first hand 'scratch test' is good enough for me...thanks for that! :)

actually, just one more question....for printing your discs, do you use the software that came with the printer or another program? reason i ask is, i also have sure thing labeler installed on my comp. but it seems the printer software is the better way to go?

thanks again...much appreciated!

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

sakmd,
    You will get some software that comes with your printer called Epson print cd. It is all you need, does an excellent job. You can download label graphics from several places on the web or creat your own. I really like my R200 and provided software.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I agree with mort The Epson software is perfectly fine.

Good Luck

20. sakmd

sakmd Member

bbmayo, mort81....thanks guys!