1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Printer

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Terrabyte, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

I got a all in one canon mp390 for xmas from my better half. If I had know about this I would have suggested the DVD option for printing as well. Is there any way I can print on DVD's with this without using labels. If not is there a stand alone small dvd printer that would be economical. I do not want to put another full size printer on my desk. I need this cause I think my labels are causing me some troubles.
    Thanks in advance

2. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Member

i use the epison 300 and dose a great job never had a bad print yet over 100 movies

3. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Member

and i use dvd-r ridata 8x inkjet printable dvds

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Epson R200 is about $100. The only difference between the R200 & R300 is the 300 has slots for camera cards. R300 about $150./ $175.

Jerry

5. sakmd

sakmd Member

hi terrabyte...

if you really are interested in printing dvds, i believe your best bet is going to be one of the epson models that others have mentioned. if your printer doesn't have the feature, then there's no way to 'retro fit' it so it does.

i also have a primary printer, an epson rx500, and was hesitant about purchasing another inkjet printer just for printing dvds. i did quite a bit of searching and the cheapest dedicated dvd printer i found went for around $700. that was far more than i was willing to spend for this task. there are a few options for far cheaper, but most of them print in only one of four colors. not suffient for my needs. i finally decided upon the epson r200. got it at newegg.com for $82.00. i just got it today, and i must say that it is brilliant! far exceeded my expectations. up unitl now, i had used printable labels. i've labeled around 90 dvds and have yet to have a problem. however, all these were done in the past few months. and while now the labels haven't posed a problem, i'm not sure how they'll hold up down the road which is another reason i wanted to make the move to printable media. so after not being able to find a good deal on a dedicated printer, i went for the epson. and since i already have an rx500, i didn't need all the extra features of the r300. as i said, i got it today, and have printed 6 dvds already and i couldn't be more pleased! if you really want to print your own dvds, i would suggest going w/ the r200. the media i'm using are taiyo yuden inkjet white-hub printables.

hope this helps!

sakmd

6. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

7. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Member

i got the epison r300 from staples for 149 with a 30 dollar rebate and it dose a great job never had a bad print

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The price quotes were just estimates. You can always find them cheaper on sale or with rebates if you look around.

Jerry

9. behrad

behrad Regular member

what about the cost of thre ink?
    How expen$ive is the ink for these Epson printers and more importantly, how many covers can you get out of them if using not too much of color on each label?

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I have seen generic versions of the ink for $7 to $8 dollars each color. Don't know about amount of printing since I don't own that one.

Jerry

11. sakmd

sakmd Member

hi behrad...

in regards to how many dvd's you can print on one set of inks...

i just got my r200 a few days ago, i've printed 30 dvds thus far, so i can't give you an exact number, but here's a screen capture of the ink levels from my printer monitor

[​IMG]

you can extrapolate a little and hopefully this will give you an idea, having given you how many i have printed so far. keep in mind that i only use this printer for printing dvds, as i have another printer to handle all my other print jobs. so based on my current ink levels, i expect to be able to print many, many more. also keep in mind that some inks will run out faster than others....and with this printer, when one ink tank is empty, the printer will not print until it has been replaced. so it's always a good idea to keep an extra set on hand.

in terms of ink prices. obviously, epson inks will run you quite a bit. prices at office depot currently are as follows: $16.94 for black and $11.97 each for the colors.

having said that, i have found through reading various posts here, that the following two sites have quality generics for much less...so have a look....

http://private.abacus24-7.com/(ccz3vczpqfkpdi45c4m1i545)/home.aspx?

http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?m...es&go=show_ink&model=Stylus+Photo+R200+series

while i haven't tried the inks from the above retailers personally, like i said, i have heard that the quality of the inks is very good, as is the service.

hope this helps!

sakmd

12. sakmd

sakmd Member

ooops...appears i fudged the image link... :p

lemme try this again...

[​IMG]

hopefully this works... :)

13. behrad

behrad Regular member

thanks sakmd.
    I think I will get the same printer. It was between this one and the Canon. Has any one got the Canon printer???

14. sakmd

sakmd Member

behrad...

no problem! as far as the canon goes...i've read good things about it, and not so good things. same thing with the epson....before i had purchased it, i had heard good things, but then others who weren't happy with it. as with most things in life, there will always be differences in opinion/experiences.

i got the epson for two reasons... one, my current main printer is an eposn. and i have owned a couple of epson printers in the past and have been very happy with them. plus, their tech support in the past has been outstanding (in my experience). however, another reason for getting the epson is b/c i had little choice...as the canon is not available here in the U.S. i have read of a few here who have ordered the canon from overseas. but then i suppose there is the 220 to 110 power supply to deal with. if you are here in the states, and decide to go with the epson, i think you'll be quite happy with it.

sakmd

15. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I use to buy Canon printers only but after 4 or 5 sets of ink tanks the heads would plug up. Paying for the heads was at least half the price of the printer. I'm using an Epson C80 right now on its second year with no problems. When she dies I think the R300 will replace it. No problems with generic ink in this one.

Jerry

16. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Member

ive printed about 60 dvds on one set of ink, you will go through 2 black and 1 of each of the other 5 colors

17. techee

techee Member

I'm also looking at buying the Epson R 200 and appreciate your previous comments. My question is with regard to DVD media? Whats the best brand to buy? Taydo Yudon? Ritek? And WHO should I buy it from? (I'm in Canada) Thanks..

Techee

18. SurfDude

SurfDude Member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  19. jamacaboi

jamacaboi Regular member

Techee...

I am in Toronto. Since your in Canada check out www.blankmedia.ca They are located in Kitchener, Ontario. They have Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim, Ritek and Prodisc inkjet printable media (white top or silver top).

I have now ordered 2 times from them and the service has been excellent in terms of delivery and genuine Taiyo Yuden product which is what I ordered. I got my last order last Friday January 14.

If you want the Epson R200 (which I got in December 2004 when it was $50 with discount and 2 rebates, yes 2 rebates - one Canadian and one USA) its $140 now at Staples, FutureShop, Best Buy and there is a $40 mail in rebate if you buy it before January 31, 2005. It would bring the price down to $100.

The Epson R200 will also come with 10 silver top inkjet printable Verbatim CD's (not DVD) media in the box.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  20. Terrabyte

Terrabyte Member

Thank you everyone for your help.
    I have aquired my dvd's from dvd blank media. Excellent service.
    I have also orderd the r200 I should have it on Monday.
    Thanks
    Terrabyte