1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Problems/Issue - Specific Case

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Tainted13, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Tainted13

Tainted13 Member

Hi,
    First of all thanks for taking the time to read my post, I really appreciate it and if someone finds a way to fix this I will be forever grateful *bow*

I recently posted this on another board but with only one response there wasn't much I could do.

I always use Nero to burn all my CD's/DVD's be it Music or Data etc.
    I never once had a problem burning anything and no DVD had ever done this to me.

So on to the issue:
    I decided to backup "My Document" folder which I've done before by just selecting DVD-->Data etc, Add the folder and burn, and done.
    However, after I deleted half of the stuff in my document folder I remember I had not tested the DVD (which I always do as a precaution), and I discovery somehow this DVD isn't working right.

-The moment I put in the DVD and the computer tries to read it I get major lag (slows down and freezes everything up).
    -After canceling the reading (which takes about 1 minute) and I try to go manually(explore) the DVD it once again freezes for about 2 minutes.
    -When finally in the "My Document" folder inside of my DVD, I can see all the content (as in all the folder) However, if I try to open any file inside of it it will just freeze and never open. (Ex: Click an image inside of the DVD which has the appropriate name and everything, but it will never display the image and just freeze up/lock up)

Note: I did nothing different when I burned this DVD, infact I try to burn another DVD the same day to see if my burner just died on me and that one worked fine, and so have the others since then... So the issue is isolated to this one DVD and my burner has been working fine with no issues. Furthermore, I also used the DVD from the same spindle.

Let me see what else can be useful info in helping me out.
    I'm running Windows XP (Haven't tried opening the DVD on a Linux comp yet but will try later on).

Let me know if there is any other info I could provide to help me out.

I have my entire work folder in there with lots of organic synthesis and mechanisms which are really important to me. Also images of family trips and niece.

Thank you very much, you have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Note: I hope I put this in the appropriate forum, my apologies if I didn't and forgive my lack of knowledge.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I haven't tried a 'bad' data disk, but DVD Decrypter (normaly used for ripping DVD Video) can rip a data DVD.
    Set Mode > ISO read
    Set Tools > Setup > Device > and check the box next to 'Set Hardware Read Error Retries' and from the drop down menu select the number of retries.

If it manages to write an .ISO, reset DVD Decrypter to 'ISO Write' and burn a DVD.
    The other program that I know of is 'CDRoller' - but it's not freeware.

DVD Decrypter
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/
    Download, install and run.