1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Problems

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by roo88, Nov 24, 2004.

1. roo88

roo88 Member

Ok, I'm also new to this all too..
    A friend told me about Dvd Shrink, so I tried it...and I do have Nero 6. and thought I was doing everything right..It went thru all the process fine, with no error message..and I played it on Dvd here on my computer to make sure it copied it ok and that worked, so then I go to play on my dvd player, it either plays a little then says my disc is bad, or freezes and even on few it just skips...I know it's not the dvd player since we have 2 of them & I tried them both..I've wasted so much money on dvd's ...and the only place seems to work is on my computer...and my son doesn't like to sit here in front of computer to watch his favorite movies...
    Please help...

2. colw

colw Active member

Problems are typical of poor quality media or the use of labels on your burnt media.

What brand of media are you using? Many standalones can be very finicky with burnt media.

3. edgex

edgex Member

Try Ritek G04 media, and burn at a slower speed. This is normaly a good combination to burn with. Then general rule is slower the burn, better the quality.

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

what media are you using?

slow down burn speed or don't go over 4x

do not use computer for ANYTHING during encoding or burning

5. roo88

roo88 Member

I'm am using Memorex.
    And colw, I do put labels on the ones that I burn...I will try without & see if there is a difference. What the sense of having CD/DVD labels?
    It's burns at 4x. so you guys are saying maybe I should try 3x.
    Another stupid question, where do I change the speed again. Is it right on the DVD Shrink option or Nero 6?
    Thanks guys...

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

you should be ok burning at 4x though with good media

you can almost do better with any media than memorex
    i would recommend trying another brand of media

also make sure nothing is running in background of your computer and don't use it for anything while burning and encoding

Last edited: Nov 26, 2004
  7. forkndave

forkndave Member

Your problem is probably mostly due to the labels, and Memorex as previously mentioned is generally not very good. Ritek, Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are good. I've also had good luck with Prodisc. You can order these brands from http://www.supermediastore.com , http://www.meritline.com , http://www.rima.com and many other places on the internet. Most stores don't carry these brands except maybe Verbatim. Labels tend to unbalance DVDs so that they gat a slight wobble and are hard to read. Labels don't seem to be so bad on CDs because the data isn't packed as densley. If you want labels on your DVDs you should get a printer such as the Epson Stylus Photo R200 or R300 and use inkjet printable DVDs. An R200 is less than $100.00. I have an R300 and I've been pretty happy with it.

8. edgex

edgex Member

There has been more than one discussion on this site in regards to burning speed and the quality of burn. I have burned 200 back ups at 4x speed and they all have labels on them. While the majority are fine and look great, I have had a few that will lock up, not a lot mind you but enough to try a different method. I use the TDK 880 to burn with so it's capable of 8x burn speed in both + and - while it kills me to slow the burner down to 2x speed, I know the backups are of excellent quality.

You can reset the preferences on shrink, just prior to burning. Good Luck

9. edgex

edgex Member

There has been more than one discussion on this site in regards to burning speed and the quality of burn. I have burned 200 back ups at 4x speed and they all have labels on them. While the majority are fine and look great, I have had a few that will lock up, not a lot mind you but enough to try a different method. I use the TDK 880 to burn with so it's capable of 8x burn speed in both + and - while it kills me to slow the burner down to 2x speed, I know the backups are of excellent quality.

You can reset the preferences on shrink, just prior to burning. Good Luck