1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Profiler Question

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Clinty76, Feb 27, 2004.

1. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

Oh hell yeah! That's great news.

Thanks Clinty76.

2. IceTea

IceTea Member

3. sambryan

sambryan Member

DAMN I didn't know DVD profiler was just down the road from where I live!!!! I livi in Liberty MO... I will stop by later!! FYI folks... DVDProfiler has a ton of users that actually PAY... They wont just take the servers down and leave you High and Dry... There have been lots of issues lately with that newest worm and I know quite a few peeps here in Liberty that are getting it. (not me!) The issues could be a whole variety of things. PATIENCE... I am sure he will be back up... Or I am going to his house and callin him out ;) heheheeh anyway... I have a 2000+ DVD collection and I feel the timing sux because I was just switching to Slider trays with Sleeves instead of DVD cases. I was using profiler (web)to make my lables at work :( So now things are a bit slower.. But Oh well .. I sure hope he gets back up soon I have about 20 more dvd's since Wednesday to add!!!

4. TT626

TT626 Guest

sambryan:
    Have you tried the new THINPAK DVD Cases, they are only 1/4 wide and I doubled my storage space by converting to them. I print out the cover art from DVD Profiler with a PowerPoint Template. Just my 2 Cents.

5. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

IceTea: I also use CrunchyMedia's DVD Collector. It has a sweet interface, and it's very colorful. I think the CATVids software is the most detailed for movies though, letting you customize the contents of each individual disc within a box set. I found it very usefull for titles such as Alien Quadrilogy and the Lord of the Rings features. Plus it has the option to ad all the crew people that made the movie; like Art, makeup, keygrips, etc., etc. But of course so does Movie Collector, but it's not as well laid out as CATVids is. DVD Profiler has the ease of use award by my standards, but I'm beginning to like CATVids more. The only reason I don't already is because I've only been using CATVids for only a couple of months now and have only added a few DVD's.

TT626: I'll have to check those Nexpak THINpak DVD Cases out. I have over 2700 DVD's & 3900 VHS movies and I will be having a space issue if I don't do something soon. Do they allow the inserts that came with the original DVD's?

Sambryan: You shouldn't lay complete trust in a piece of software and the developer. I also beta test hundreds of software programs a year and I have bought a lot of them expecting updates and when an individual or a company decides it doesn't want to continue it's software upgrades they sometimes just pull their files from their servers and disapear.

I once spent $1600 on a piece of automotive software expecting updates when the software's one year time experation had elapsed only to find out the company went out of business and the owners and developers couldn't be located to update the software to make it work any longer. Believe me it happens. It's a chance you take every time that you buy a piece of software. Fortunately because I know some about programming software, I was able to disassemble the software and make it work without the update any longer. I was no longer bound under the EULA since the company went out of business. But most of the time their is a logical explination as to why the software can't access the web or gather updates; such as the case with DVD Profiler.

later.

6. WorldSpy

WorldSpy Member

Doesn't sound like most of you are a paid for premium user as if you were, then you would already know that DVD Profiler's official email address is dvdprofiler@intervocative.com.

If you like the service, PAY FOR IT! I hope to god they come back as I love there service and manage my 700+ DVD's with it. DVD Profiler Premium was only $25 or something like that, a bargain at twice the price. Also consider that it is a once only fee.

How can you expect a service to go on when no one is willing to pay for it? I think Intervocative Software and just about everyone else already found out that banner ads just don't pay. If you like the service, then consider buying it a selfish act as it is the only way Intervocative or anyone else will ever survive. The alternative is what you are experiencing now (Temporarily Unavailable), forever.

7. sambryan

sambryan Member

AcidC0RE...

I have been using DVDprofiler for a while. The web interface is nice and I can easily scan in my DVD's by barcode. I am just trying to inform people that they shouldn't give up after a couple days of downtime. It is mostly a free service so replacing parts probably isnt going to be ultra fast if needed. If anything a product so popular would be sold off and eventually become a pay service... I just cannot see them rolling up the carpet on such a great package.

As far as automotive programs go... I have seen quite a few of em.. And I must say.... They aint great.. Mitchells is about a joke to navigate and all data is OK at best. They really need to tear those proggys apart and go web based! Anyways......

I went by the guys house.. It didn't look like anyone was home at the time... I really didn't have the time to stop and see... HE does have pinkis peach garage doors though!!!!!

Sam

8. TT626

TT626 Guest

sambryan: The ThinPak DVD Case is 1/2 the thickness of a regular DVD Case which would be a total thickness of 1/4" and has a Clear Insert Pouch on the Front. I have found them online for as little as $.31 each and come in boxes of 65. I purchased my last order from http:www.cddimensions.com
    Hope this helps,
    Tom

9. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

That is one of the nice things about DVD Profiler is its ability to scan DVD's in via a barcode scanner.

I whole heartedly agree with you on the automotive software. It does need to go web based.

As for the downtime on DVD Profiler, I was fairly certain that there was a logical explination but I wasn't going to be a total wreck if by chance they did cut loose.

WorldSpy: I have been a registered used of DVD Profiler for over two years and it's great being able to view high res cover. Of course in my first 2 months that I demoed the software I relized that I didn't have to stay with low rez cover and still not be registered. All I had to do was lownload high rez covers from other places on the net and over write the low rez ones and then choose to lock all my cover scans as to not be updated. But the ad bar was anoying so I finaly registed it.

Later all.

10. Clinty76

Clinty76 Guest

WorldSPY, I am a paid user!! If I like a program and am going to use it then I will pay. Don't just assume that no one pays for programs, there are decent people out there!!!

11. KillJoy70

KillJoy70 Member

I too use DVD profiler and think it is great, but I just discovered it about a week ago and I am hoping this down time is not a regular occurance.

Question for all the DVD Collectors out there..... I would like to make a best of DVD of all my favorite segaments of all of my favorite DVD titles. Can anyone recommend a user friendly piece of software out there to accomplish this. I would like to be able to capture a segament of a dvd, save it, and then burn them all to a dvd once I have 4.7 gigs worth. Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers.

12. AcidC0RE

AcidC0RE Member

13. WorldSpy

WorldSpy Member

OK, sorry. I may have assumed too much!

Ilmar

P.S. I have been trying to get Intervocative to included agregate user ratings (meaning an average vote of all users and not just what you thought of it) in their profiles but they have resisted. They said it would take up too much bandwidth which I just can't see how. They already offer it in their previews, why can't they include them in client side database? It could be as simple as a couple of bits included in the lookup table where you input the barcode. Wouldn't it be convenient to find out what others thought of a movie BEFORE you bought it? Also it would help them get commisions on DVD sales with participating vendors (more DVDs sold, more money). If you think this is a good ideas as well, please write to dvdprofiler@intervocative.com and voice your opinion.

Thanks!
    Ilmar

14. KillJoy70

KillJoy70 Member

It doesn't appear as though the Catvids is what I am looking for. Catvids is similar to DVD profiler. I am looking for software that will allow you to capture a segment of a DVD and save it for burning later. For example: I want the stair case guitar scene from animal house, followed by the judge whoppner scene from rain man....etc ....etc....etc.

15. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

[bold]KillJoy70:[/bold] what you want id TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.5 - it can do what you want, with pretty menus and all...

Have Fun...

16. SandyB

SandyB Member

Here is a (hopefully) temporary fix to the DVD Profiler unavailability problem:

When you want to add a new title, enter a fictitious UPC code (such as 0000000001) and the correct title. The program will not be able to locate the title and you will be able to add it to your database (cancel out when it tries to access the server database). Be sure NOT to contribute the title to the online database. Then edit the title using info and images you get from other web sites. This is something you have to do anyway when the title you are adding is not in the server database.

Keep a list of the titles added under fictitious UPC codes so you can delete and re-eneter them with the correct UPC when Intervocative becomes operational again.

I think having an incorrect UPC for a title is a very small price to pay to be able to continue using this program. I agree with the others who say there is no other program available that can match DVD Profiler and would hate to have to re-enter all my titles into another program.

A suggestion might be made to Mr. Cole to have the UPC code as an editable field in future releases of DVD Profiler to ensure the program will always be usable.

17. TT626

TT626 Guest

Sandy: I appreciate the workaround but it just doesn't seem to be worth the time. I just put post it notes on my DVDs until the IVS Site ever comes back to life. I have been looking for a suitable replacement for DVD Profiler but NONE come close to the funtionality and ease of use of DVD Profiler. I tried Movie Collector, as that seems to be a popular choice here, but it is a total pain going up to all those web sites looking for both Front and Back Covers, it seems that DVD Empire has the covers but lacks all of the other info required. I like all of the features in DVD Profiler especially the Actor Cross Reference - too bad we are so dependent on DVD Contributors because some of the so called Hi Res Scans have alot to be desired. If and when Mr. Cole decides to DUMP DVD Profiler, we all will need to find a good replacement and import or re-enter all of our collections into a new program - the question is: WHAT PROGRAM even matches DVD Profiler. The enhancements have been great over the years and sometime I feel I can't live without it but if we have to change - Where do we go?
    Tom

18. SandyB

SandyB Member

Tom;

Yes it is alot of work and time to find and manually enter the info and images into DVD Profiler - but as you mentioned there does NOT appear to be any other program that comes close to providing the capabilities of DVD Profiler. That being the case I feel the time and effort is well worth it.

DVD Empire seems to be the site to get most, if not all, the information and good quality images for most titles. Other sites include DVD Planet abd Digital Eyes.

I also found in the DVD Profiler program an option to change the UPC code - select the title you want to change the code for and then click on "DVD". The very last item on the dropdown is "Change UPC". At least this will eliminate the need to download the title all over again when (if?) Intervocative comes back on line.

19. TT626

TT626 Guest

Sandy:
    That is great info you just provided - you convinced me. Thanks for your help. But if you HAD to Switch Program - what would you choose?
    TIA
    Tom

20. TT626

TT626 Guest

Sandy:
    It looks like DVD Empire is the only site I found that offers Back Cover Art but unfortunately - Most of there covers contain a "Copywritten Material" Watermark - :(
    Tom