1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R 9GB is there such a thing

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by BigDadE, Oct 28, 2007.

1. BigDadE

BigDadE Member

I was wondering if there is a DVD media that allows you to back up DVDs on something bigger than the standard 4.7GB. Other than HD DVD's. If so where can I buy some? Also will HD DVDs play in standard DVD players, not HD dvd players? Thx.

2. barricade

barricade Guest

Double Layer disks hold 9.4 GBs . Just make sure your burner is capable of doing so!

3. BigDadE

BigDadE Member

Ok. But do you need a specific DVD player?? I'm guessing I do.

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Double layer discs hold 8.5GB of data (decimal terminology; 7.9GB in binary calculation). Although a DL recording drive is necessary for recording these media, they often play in many DVD players. Some older players confuse the lower reflection and the "recordable disc" designation because they were made before it was possible to do both: record and have two layers. For many of those players, it may be possible to change the identification of the disc to "double layer DVD-ROM" disc by altering the identification bit on the disc. This is know as changing the bit setting or book setting on a DL disc and works only for DVD+R DL discs.

HD DVDs will not play on standard DVD players unless the disc is a Warner Brothers hybrid HD DVD/DVD disc with a DVD on one side and HD DVD content on the other side. Only the DVD side will play in a regular DVD player.