1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-r analyzing?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jruppert, Nov 18, 2004.

1. jruppert

jruppert Member

is there any software out there that can analyze a blank dvd-r and tell me if there is something wrong or potentially wrong after being burned? the reason i ask is because i have some dvd-r's and it seems like whenever i get towards the end of a movie it wants to freeze. is this a write speed problem? i am just curious as to my options.

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

3. jruppert

jruppert Member

is the situation i am experiencing common with a lot of dvd-r's?

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What programs are you using to back up your DVD's? Then I might be able to help

5. jruppert

jruppert Member

originally i was using dvdxcopy and had no trouble copying with Maxell DVD+R. i had trouble with these off brand (which is probably whats wrong) dvd-r's. They run fine til you get towards the middle-end. I tried to copy star wars 2 and had some trouble so i went to dvd decryptor. since this program is a little more advanced i tried copying it to the dvd-r, thinking that it may help. i had the same trouble. i have always copied at 4x. this time around i am trying at 2.4x if this doesnt help then i dont know what else to do. i dont plan on ever buying this brand again but i figured since i have them i might as well try to get them to work.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You are exactly right the cause is probably the Disk's not because they are -R's but because they are an off brand. It is always a good Idea to go with good Media to get the best quality. Slowing down the speed should help though. I personally like DVD Shrink better than Decrypter of course there are some thing's you can do with one and not the other, but if you are just backing up your DVD movies DVD Shrink always seem's to work better for me.
    Here are a few brands I would reccomend at getting (the best being listed first.)
    1. Taiyo Yuden
    2. Ritek
    3. Prodisc
    4. TDK
    5. Fuji Film (If made in Japan as these are made by Taiyo Yuden)
    Of course there are other good brands out there, but once you find one that works the best for you stick with that one "If it aint broke don't try to fix it"
    Also here is a link to my web sight this will help you with guides on burning and where to buy media and stuff..

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

I hope this help's you out :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  7. jruppert

jruppert Member

I ran dvd shrink again and changed the compression to 3900mg. Then recopied the movie to my crappy dvd-r. This time there is no error and it plays through. So it must be something towards the end of the dvd that is causing these problems.

8. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Probable, 'cos the dye near both rims of some makes of DVDs might be unevenly applied on during the manufacturing process. So you just have to shop around for some good ones.