1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd+r and dvd players

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by eagledad, Jul 12, 2007.

1. eagledad

eagledad Member

I have a problem with my burn process. I use dvd shrink to copy to my hard drive and nero6 to burn to dvd+r. I play the movie in my dvd player and it works fine but when i take the movie to my daughters dvd player it will not read it. I know that her dvd player will play dvd+r because someone gave me a burnt copy of shrek on a dvd+r. His software is 321studios. should I start using a different brand of dvd's. Please help because my daughter is messing up my bought movies and some of them you can't find.

2. eagledad

eagledad Member

Hello again. I went to the help links in this website and nothing is stated about my type of problem. I downloaded vso inspec. and it shows the my samsung dvd-rom sd-616e supports will write to dvd+r. Does anyone have any idea what is going wrong? Urgent!!!!please help.

3. JVC

JVC Active member

That must be a typo, because DVD rom drives don't burn. They only play dvds.

How is your daughter messing up your dvds? If her player is damaging your dvds, it won't matter what brand disc you use. She needs a new dvd player, in that case.

What brand of dvd blanks are you using? You can try another brand. Some players don't like certain brands. You can also try Booktyping your DVD+R media, to DVD Rom, if your burner is capable of booktyping. Not all brands are. Booktyping them to DVD Rom will make them more compatible with players, especially older players. Store bought movies are booktyped to DVD Rom. That's why they play in almost all players. Here is some info on Booktyping: http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes? :eek:)

4. eagledad

eagledad Member

I'm messed up. using vso inspector on the correct burn drive is NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A 102B (I was looking at my player not burner). What do you mean by booktyping? this stuff is new to me and i hate to sound dumb but guess I am. My daughter's jvc player is not messing up the dvd's it's her 3 year old hands beating up my discs, the player does not see the data to play.

5. eagledad

eagledad Member

Went to the firmware page and there is an update to the NEC. something like 103c, 104c and it also states that if you download such updates that it could hurt the drive. Does this really happen alot because I don't want to buy another burn drive.

Qoute: These pages are only for advanced users. Bad flashing could destroy your drive definitively. Read carefully the installation notes of your firmware before you upgrade. The Firmware Page and the drive manufacturer can't be responsable on REMEMBER: This is at your own risk!!!!

6. JVC

JVC Active member

All I can say is that I've heard that some people have ruined their drives, but most of the time, there's not a problem. I upgraded the firmware for my LiteOn, back around Christmas, without a problem.

I'd say, the problem is more with the firmware for her player, than for your drive. Firmware is what helps drives recognize different media put in it.

Her little 3 yr. old hands are getting fingerprints and dirt on them, or is she scratching them? To clean them, use rubbing alcohol or Windex, and a soft cloth, or Kleenex. Don't wipe them in a circular motion. Wipe them clean by starting in the middle, and wiping towards the outer edge. Repeat all the way around the disc.

Read the link I posted. It's not a long read. Just a couple of paragraphs or so. It will tell you about Booktyping.