1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R and DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Twiz, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Twiz

Twiz Member

I'm sure this question has been answered time and time again, but I can't find the answer. I have a Panasonic DVD-RV32 player. The manual says it will play DVD-R disks. The problem I have is that I only have DVD+R disks. What is the difference?

I would also like to appologize for asking the question, but i seriously could not find the answer.

2. joblow

joblow Guest

3. Twiz

Twiz Member

Thank you very much for your help.

4. jsl

jsl Member

The link might be useful if you wan't to read a DVD-R biased article with lot of errors...

5. Twiz

Twiz Member

LoL, Yea I've read DVD+R is better quality, but I didn't see that anywhere in the link...

6. joblow

joblow Guest

It depends what does better quality means for you. For me quality it's more about compatibility than anything else. I had backed up more than 200 movies with very cheap 0.79 DVD-R and I didn't find a DVD player that can't play them, from old ones to newer ones and from differents DVD players brands. There's no point to back up movies that can play only on few selected players. There's no doubt in my mind that DVD-R are more compatibles than DVD+R on a wider range of DVD players. If the DVD+R works with your Panasonic good for you, but if not what will you do with your DVD player, throw it into garbages and buy a more recent one or will you just change your DVD disks to -R instead of +R?

7. Jamesio

Jamesio Guest

I had a Toshiba player that only played commercial DVDs, gave it away, and got a Cyberhome 402 Player, at £79, that will play CDs, VCDs, SVCDs, AND DVD-R, With no fiddling with cracks.
    It will not play DVD+R, but then a lot of players won’t.

I now have no problems in playing copies of my DVDs, on any of the above formats.

8. deago

deago Member

The RCA rc5255 will not and I mean NOT play -R media I know because my mother has one.

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hello
    I have found that most RCA DVD players only play stamped discs and have a lot of problems playing DVD-R, DVD-RW. Most DVD players will play DVD-R discs as it is a reconized format for DVD (given by the logo) for the big wigs that came up with the DVD arcitechture. DVD+ is still not reconized and has a long way to go before it will be fully excepted. If you only have DVD+ then look at Sony and HP as these are the main pushers of this format.

10. Twiz

Twiz Member

I thank you all for your help...

11. Jamesio

Jamesio Guest

{HA 432} RONIN P701 DVD/MP3/VCD/CDR/DVD-R/CD player (MORE STOCK ARRIVING FRIDAY 2nd MAY)
    Fully supports DVD/DVD-R/VCD/CD-R/CD-DA/MP3.
    Full compliance with MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 Standard
    The player has the following outputs of the back.
    Scart socket for connection to a TV.
    DTS digital output. (Coaxial)
    Video output (phono)
    Left and right audio (phono)
    This player is avilable at.
    http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk at £49.98
    With a 12 monthes on site warrantry.

12. taz291819

taz291819 Member

Add Microsoft, Dell, and Philips to that list also.

13. Jamesio

Jamesio Guest

My Cyberhome DVD-Player, CH-DVD 402, Plays all formats, except DVD+, And it is not expensive.

14. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

taz291819
    Good point, I forgot about Microsoft.
    To quote http://www.digitalvideoediting.com/2002/07_jul/news/medio_dvdvr.htm The following will or do accept DVD+

"Sponsors of the DVD+RW Alliance seminar in Asia Pacific include Dell Computer, Hewlett Packard, Mitsubishi Chemical/Verbatim, Ricoh, Royal Philips Electronics, Sony, THOMSON Multimedia, and Yamaha."

So DVD+ is growing, but to the best of my limited knowledge it still is not an accepted DVD format. The best way to tell is the that it still is not allowed to use the DVD accepted logo.