1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R and DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Dizwald, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Dizwald

Dizwald Member

Hi folks,

Can anyone help out a confused aged luddite?

I have a Matshita DVD ROM on my PC and also have a Panasonic DVD player rigged up to my TV.

While both players accept films recorded on DVD-R medium, neither players will accept anything on a DVD+R medium.

I understand that Matshita is infact Panasonic so is this compatability issue typical of Panasonic.

If this is so then is there any firmware or software available that I can download which will enable either or both of teh players to be able to read DVD+R mediums?

Any help would be welcomed.....

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

first off i would say check out the manufacturers website for compatibilty on your standalone player also for firmware updates (expensive models have this capability - firmware)

next i would go on to say that -R is generally more compatible than +R with older players, but newer version players and CHEAPO no name players play anything...

and also some dvdrom writers have facility for BOOKTYPE settings and some apps can change booktype etc to make more compatible for +R issues in players...

now dont quote me but if your drive does not support booktype settings you may be able to use an app to change the +R to -R type format???? but not sure on this?

i know nero you can use this for more compatibility and try a RW disc and different settings...even try ticking the FORCE COMPATIBILITY FOR XBOX it may just make it work? ;-])

[​IMG]

3. Dizwald

Dizwald Member

OK - thanks for that

but I understand this to be givng a disc a different ID when burning it.

does anyone know wheter you can get firmware for a matshita dvd rom that will enable it to read dvd+r media?

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

and the make / model number of the drive is?????????? full codes!

5. Dizwald

Dizwald Member

Sorry,

Its a Matshita DVD-ROM SR 8585

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member