1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R appears to be empty after successful burn

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by akmlogic, Dec 22, 2004.

1. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

Okay here goes my first newbie question:

I have read the guides and did a forum search and couldn't find an answer so if it is an obvious one then my apologies beforehand...

I was attempting to back up a copy of Bourne Supremacy on a Phillips DVD+R disc. I decrypted the DVD using DVD Decrypter successfully, then using DVD Shrink I removed unnecessary audio, subtitles, features, etc. Then encoded it into a TS_Video folder on my harddrive. I then burned it using Nero Burning Rom. After finishing the burn with no errors I attempted to check the end result using Power DVD. However it kept saying there was no disc entered. I then tried to explore the disc from windows explorer and was showing 0 bytes. However I attempted it on my standalone dvd player and it played fine without error. I'm a big fan of watching dvd's while i'm working at my computer so I was bummed to find it wouldn't work on my DVD drive. Is there some other way or process I could use to where it will work both on my DVD drive and my stand alone DVD player as well? Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello ak, could be your phillips media, It not exactly your higher quality media. This is an odd issue,usally the standalone players can't play them while the pc does.All my burns are by using dvd shrink,drag main movie only,ac3 ch5.1 only, and in preferences,enable burning with nero.Many threads here on that bourne supremecy,but i had no trouble.A media change would be the simplest thing to do. Try some sony,maxell,tdk, or fujis.What brand and model is your burner?

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I'm just a little confused by your post. The copy burned OK on your computer but the computer won't play it. Are we talking 2 different drives? If you burned it on one drive, that drive should see the disc. It you are playing it on a different drive then the problem could be the +/- compatibility trouble.

Jerry

4. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

well I have both a DVD burner drive.. it's a Lite-ON with a black face (I know not obviously the best on the market and don't have model number on me right now as i'm at work.) and then another drive for CD-R burning that also supports DVD playback. After I finished the burn though the computer wouldn't recognize data on the disk in either drive but it worked on the stand alone player. I will take the advice of trying to upgrade the media and see what happens... thanks for the response and I'll keep updated.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Ok, I did read your post right then. Those CDRW/dvd player drives are made to play purchased dvds and some versions of burned dvds. Yours may only play either the + format or - format. Purchased dvds are not burned to a disc. They are pressed from a master disc similar to the older records for music. They will play in just about anything. Burned dvds are different and some players will only read one format or the other. I'm somewhat sure this is your problem. Good luck.

Jerry

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

two drives that won't play the backup, when the stand alone plays it.That's even stranger.Maybe when you list your burner specs,that may solve this issue. Hopefully it is a dual format.Still looks like a media issue.I wish i could check out all the ad threads when I am at work,lol

7. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

yeah it's a dual format drive.. again forgot model number because at work :). It's weird I know. I backed up a copy of "Fist of Legend" an old jet li flick and it worked fine on both the standalone and the dvd drives. I'm not sure at all..

8. cucuy202

cucuy202 Member

hello. I have also ran into the same problem. I was trying to decrypt Bourne Supremacy with DVD Shrink but it failed. I tried again but this time my DVD drive was not recognizing the movie but it would recognize a data cd. I called for tech. support and some how using PowerDVD, it was able to recognize the movie in my drive. The next day, I tried decrypting another movie and the first movie did not have any problems. I tried a second movie and DVD Shrink was not recognizing the movie. It said please insert disc into drive. Now, a movie DVD or a data cd are not recognized by my DVD drive. When I first ran into this problem, I checked for new a driver, uninstalled and did a system restore but like I said, it was not a success the first time. I am also using Phillips +/- DVD model 8631. I would also appreciate any help.

9. markmcune

markmcune Member

I have been copying DVDs for about a year using dvd decrypter followed by dvd2one burning on a memorex dual format dvd recorder. I am currently having the same problem. In fact I reloaded all of my drivers and still have not found a fix. Burned movies work on my stand alone but memorex cannot read them. Currently when I try to burn the discs to read on either stand alone or computer. I am using a new batch of fuji dvd+r and have always used +R with no problems. So I decided to use a memorex dvd-r to see if I had a bad batch and ended up having the same problem. I am convenced it has something to do with the memorex dvd recorder but have no idea what a fix would be. Please help dvd burning is my life!

10. akmlogic

akmlogic Guest

i have switched to the Memorex DVD-R disc and it has since worked for me.

11. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Memorex blank media is on the do not use list at present time. They have been buying their blanks from a company known for cheap/poor quality media. They have a failure rate around 50% and those that do burn sometimes don't play right after a few months.Just some info to remember.

Jerry