1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD+R are Different Than DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ddjockey, Mar 5, 2003.

1. ddjockey

ddjockey Member

Be careful with this media. They are re-writeable DVD's. Note they do not say DVD-R, it is a +R, which translated means RW (It's also noted on the bottom left of the DVD. These do not work with Apple DVD writers or Pioneer DVD 104 or 105. Why? Not a clue. All I know is that a blank won't even be recognized by the recording software (Roxio Toast).

2. Bladestor

Bladestor Member

What are you talking about?

3. kr0nos

kr0nos Guest

+R is different to -R, but it's definitely not rewritable. The end result of a burn on a +R disc is a disc that can be read on most DVD players and writers (regardless of it being a + or -R recording drive). +R is just an alternate form of burning requiring hardware that supports it, i.e. NEC 1000, that supports only +R for burning and SONY DRU-500 that supports burning to both +R and -R discs.

I think you are confused regarding the rewritable discs as there are rewritable DVD's and these come in both -RW and +RW variants.

The Apple Superdrive, TEAC, etc together with all the current Pioneer drives supports burning only to the -R format.

NEC, RICOH and Philips all do +R burning drives only.

SONY drives supports both + and -R burning

4. ddjockey

ddjockey Member

Thanks Kr0nos for the input! When I called Fujifilm, that's not what they told me. I guess it depends on who you talk with! IOh well, my Fujifilm blank +R DVD's are useless for my Apple Superdrive, then eh? Anyone want to buy them?

5. marknyc

marknyc Member

I'm interested - how many do you have?

Mark

6. ddjockey

ddjockey Member

Hi Marcnyc,

Already sold them. I'm sorry!

7. marknyc

marknyc Member

That was fast!